After upgrading to Quicken 2020 from 2017 my transaction history for a stock I owned disappeared

GrandmaJo
GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
How can I recover information about a stock that has disappeared from Quicken. I transferred the stock to a charity early this year but now don't have the information that was asked by TurboTax about the date of acquiring and the cost.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi again @GrandmaJo,

If you used a "remove shares" type of transaction in connection with the donation, then the transaction history should still be present in your Quicken account.  You should open the account register > select "Holdings" > change the "As of:" field to a date just prior to the date you made the donation.  The new display should give you the number of shares, market value and cost basis for the security you donated - which is the information you need for your tax return.

Let me know how that goes of if you have followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GrandmaJo

I have a couple of questions to better understand where things are...

When you say "I transferred the stock to a charity"  - can you describe the entry that you made in Quicken?  Did you enter a "sell" transaction? or did you "delete" the security, or something else?

Also you say that this "transfer" took place "early this year"  - if that is the case, you should not be entering this in turbo tax for tax year 2020, because if you did transfer it to the charity in 2021 (this year) it won't be entered on your tax return until you file for tax year 2021.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I meant I transferred it early last year. If I remember, I entered that I removed the stock, since I didn’t sell it. I didn’t delete it and I didn’t think Quicken even allowed deletions of securities.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    BTW, the stock hasn’t disappeared, just all the transactions related to it.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ctrl-y to get to your security list. 
    Click the box at the bottom to show hidden securities. 
    Now see if you can find the security and the info. 

Alternative
    If you are sure of the account, click the Security header for that transaction list. Transactions will sort by security. You should be able to find relevant transactions that way. 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi again @GrandmaJo,

If you used a "remove shares" type of transaction in connection with the donation, then the transaction history should still be present in your Quicken account.  You should open the account register > select "Holdings" > change the "As of:" field to a date just prior to the date you made the donation.  The new display should give you the number of shares, market value and cost basis for the security you donated - which is the information you need for your tax return.

Let me know how that goes of if you have followup questions.

Frankx

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a case of the account being converted to the simple view?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Frank. That did give me the info. For some reason, the register was empty of that information, at least on my desktop.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    Turns out transaction history
    is blank in the security detail view but shows when I click on the stock in the account list and bring up the actual register. Is this common?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    GrandmaJo said:
    Turns out transaction history
    is blank in the security detail view but shows when I click on the stock in the account list and bring up the actual register. Is this common?
    It is common if the account is set to be Separate: open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Display Options tab, and check Keep this account separate
This discussion has been closed.