Loan Account Crashing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Why is Quicken crashing when I click on a loan account?.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Richard Gevis

Thank you for the response, however, this is an older post and we'll need a bit more information to be able to assist you.

First, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are running. Also, what is the name of the financial institution associated with the account that is crashing.

Last, what all steps have you tried so far? This will ensure that we do not offer you steps that you have already tried.

The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Richard Gevis 

Thanks for the update and trying the previous troubleshooting steps. It sounds like something within the program itself is causing the crash. Lets try seeing if we're able to get your account up by running a mondo patch on the program. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you've done this let us know how it goes and what you're able to find!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • I have the same problem. Exact description as Richard here, same version of the software. Only difference is, my last transaction was around Nov/Dec 2020. It started crashing when last transaction was placed.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Richard Gevis and @DrTrisha7494

Thank you for the response and the additional details. A few updates have been released since this post first began. May I ask that you please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

Also, is this happening on a loan that has been paid off? Is it possible that this account has been closed in Quicken?

Last, can you navigate to Mobile & Web, there are section labeled "Accounts
    Enabled on Mobile and Web" is the loan account selected to sync?

The more information you can provide, the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I am on version $31.8 Build 27.1.31.8. The account is not paid off or closed and it is not selected to sync. It was working fine up until about Dec.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @DrTrisha7494

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue. There has been a new patch released that is available here

Please update to the most recent release and let us know if this resolves the issue. 

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Rick Perkins
    Rick Perkins Member ✭✭
    All it does now is runs a little big longer "thinking" and then crashes. I have the same problem as those mentioned above.
  • Rick Perkins
    Rick Perkins Member ✭✭
    So I went to a transaction in my checking account that my loan was the category of and went to matching transfer and it pulled up the loan account without crashing. Now I can click on the loan account and it doesn't crash. Don't know if this was the update or just a work around.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Richard Gevis

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

You mention above that the file is stored in OneDrive. While members often state that they store the file in a cloud drive successfully for lengths of time, this is not recommended or officially supported as it may lead to file damage.

The FAQ  below states that this is not recommended in Dropbox, however, this is true for any cloud or network drive.

https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox

You may try to move the file out of OneDrive and see if this improves the issue, if not, you may need to restore a backup from prior to this issue occurring. 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • After the latest update (R31.12) I still had the same account crashing issue. As per stated above, I went to matching transfer from within the payee account and the loan details opened up. I am now able to access that loan even after exiting Quicken and opening again.
  • Well, I stand corrected. While I was able to access it a few times, it now crashes again when I attempt to go to the loan. I did notice before it crashed that the low now says 'pay off date Aug 1901' which is impossible and wasn't like that previously.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @DrTrisha7494

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• John McCoy
    John McCoy Member ✭✭
    I found this same problem today. I have 14 loan accounts active at various times between 1996 and 2014. I have not had any loans since 2014. I rarely look at these accounts but had a reason to do so today. After reading this discussion, I found 10 of the accounts open correctly and 4 cause Quicken to close.

Quicken R31.20, Build 27.1.31.20. File validation found no errors. Q file is on my hard drive. I do not use Mobile & Web. All of the 14 loans are paid off but not "closed" in Quicken.

There are several places to open a loan account in Quicken and the problem is there no matter where I try to open the account, except..... I went to a checking account transaction for one of the loans with the issue and was able to open the loan register by selecting "Go to matching transfer" however when I clicked the Loan Details button at the top of the register, Quicken closed.
This discussion has been closed.