YTD ROI %

I have a mutual fund held in two different accounts. No transactions for the funds for 2021. One shows a YTD ROI of 4.18% and the other 6.75%. I've gone through daily portfolio statuses and the ROI between the two accounts changed on 1/19/2021. Up until then they were identical. Any thoughts? Running version R31.12.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With no transactions, the calculation should be really simple
    = Mkt Val (today) / Mkt Val (12/31/2020) - 1 
    Which value is correct?

Seems to me there must be a transaction lurking somewhere.  
  • Thanks for the response but there are no transactions after the December 2020 cap gains distribution. As I said, I've pulled up my portfolio on every day and the ROI mysteriously changed on 1/19/2021, when the ROI on one of the two funds jumped 2%. All days prior to that they share the same ROI. I did run a file validate and repair including rebuilding investment prices but had no errors. Quicken share and value balance match my brokerage to the share and penny. Still perplexed.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Still seems relevant to know which value is correct.  (If I were you, I'd want to know because somehow the problem is in the errored account.)

File Validation including rebuilding investment lots would be my other direction.  
    Edit -- I reread you already did that. 
  • Found my issue. Thanks for the input.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found my issue. Thanks for the input.
    Willing to share?  Might help others. 
  • Well I did find a current year sell transaction in the older of the two accounts but I was thinking ROI would be based upon the performance of the remaining shares in the account. That obviously is not the case despite the share price in each account showing the same gain.
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭

As a follow-up. For mutual funds, Google Finance will display the "YTD Return" based on the previous month's last day of trading. (You have to hover over it to see the date.) That number corresponds to the "YTD (%) ROI " column on the Investment page (for the given date) when there are no buys or sells in that particular mutual fund. I am assuming "YTD (%) ROI "takes into account dividends paid or reinvested - making it a good indication of the funds performance. As discussed above, I do not hit that number if I sold shares in that fund. 

Leading to this question: What 'column' will give me the same YTD results (as displayed in Google Finance) and ignore my buys and sells? Likewise, what columns would do the same for 1 year, 2 year, etc.?  

Thank you.

Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FredArthur

The Return (%) xxx columns are based on information downloaded from Quicken's quote provider and thus they do not depend on your buys and sells. I believe this data is based on today's prices, not on the previous month end.

Some users have reported issues with this data, so caveat emptor. Please report in a new discussion if you see any inconsistencies or missing data.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Jim_Harman said: @FredArthur The Return (%) xxx columns are based on information downloaded from Quicken's quote provider and thus they do not depend on your buys and sells.

That makes perfect sense to me. However, as pointed-out by Bruce Andersen - sells within an account, do affect the "YTD (%) ROI " in Quicken. I will follow-up with a report in a new discussion.

I am comparing two accounts each with a single security - the same security; one account belongs to my wife the other to me. The "YTD (%) ROI " for both accounts is the same up until a trade is posted. Going forward the account with the trade diverges from the published numbers. So I am just trying to figure out what Quicken column is equivalent to that which is reported in Google Finance. I am basically looking for a metric indicating how this security is performing YTD; the change in price as a percent.

I believe this data is based on today's prices, not on the previous month end.

Agreed, for some reason on Google Finance they chose the previous end of month as indicated in the picture above. For accounts without trading activity I match to the number reported on that date.

Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @FredArthur ROI shouldn't be confused with Return %.  They are quite different.
    Return % is a downloaded "fixed" percentage.  ROI depends on what you have invested in the security.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FredArthur as @Chris_QPW points out we need to be very specific about which Portfolio columns we are talking about.

You may also want to review this discussion regarding ROI as reported at the account level vs the security level, and other Quicken performance measures.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7864889/account-level-amount-invested-and-roi-are-calculated-incorrectly-when-a-security-is-sold

QWin Premier subscription