Is there a way to add the memo field to Portfolio View?

Options
Is their a way to add the MEMO field to Portfolio view.
Or is there an investment report with cost basis, market value and memo field?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No on both counts.  Memos are transaction based.  You might have multiple buys creating a total basis each with a different memo.  

The Investment Transaction would be the only report I would expect to include memos and that won't approach getting market value information.

What are you really after?  There may be some other approach to consider.
  • Garry Blamble
    Options
    I buy gold and silver, and I'm looking for an 'inventory' report with listing of the individual items I've purchased. I've been using an investment account and using a buy transaction to record them. The only way I've found record them as a distinct item is in the memo field.
    For example on the 1 of January I buy 2 items of gold, 1 a $5.00 American Eagle, and the other as a $5.00 Canadian Maple Leaf.
    Any thoughts on how I can differentiate them in reports?
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I buy gold and silver, and I'm looking for an 'inventory' report with listing of the individual items I've purchased. I've been using an investment account and using a buy transaction to record them. The only way I've found record them as a distinct item is in the memo field.
    For example on the 1 of January I buy 2 items of gold, 1 a $5.00 American Eagle, and the other as a $5.00 Canadian Maple Leaf.
    Any thoughts on how I can differentiate them in reports?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Treat them as separate securities would be my suggestion.  
  • Garry Blamble
    Options
    If I create separate securities I can't add Ticker Symbols. It merges all together by Ticker Symbol. I'd have to manually add values if I didn't use Ticker Symbols.
    Therefore, I think I'm better off using Excell to track individual
    Purchases, then I can add columns for Name, Denomination, ounces, Ticker Symbol, Date, Cost, etc,; then I can sort by any of the Columns.
    Won't be a big deal, as I only make 5-7 purchases per year.
    Then I'd use
    Quicken for summary, total ounces of gold silver, etc. Then the total would be included in Net Worth reports,
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can:
    • Create Security1 with desired ticker
    • Create Security2 with no ticker
    • Edit Security2 to change ticker from blank to that used by Security1
    From that point, the two will share the same price history.  Update the price for one will also update the price for the other.
  • Garry Blamble
    Options
    Thanks