How to hide used categories that you don't want to use anymore but also don't want delete (Q Mac)

Options
jeremysard
jeremysard Member ✭✭
I.E. My kids are older now and no longer babies. But I started using Quicken when they WERE babies so I've used subcategories in the Baby category and don't want to outright delete the whole of the Baby category so any pulled reports aren't messed up. My kids aren't so old that we don't buy them toys, and I have a Toys subcategory in the Baby and Leisure main category. When I go to enter a transaction for toys that we've purchased, both Baby and Leisure category pop up as suggestions. I would prefer the Baby category not be a suggestion. Is there a way to hide the whole category but not delete it?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This question is posted in the Mac category and that answer is for QWin. Unfortunately, QMac does not have the ability to hide categories (although there's an Idea post about that).

Workaround: Create a new top level category called "zHidden". In the Categories window, drag and drop all the categories you want to hide to this making them subcategories. Since the zHidden category starts with "z", it will drop to the bottom of the lists, out of the way. But the categories will remain attached to the old transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Options
    Open the Category List.  On the right side of the popup list you will see a Hide Button. 

If you don't see the hide button on the right there is a little cog/button that shows you options for the list (see screenshot).  Make sure hide is checked.

Hiding the category will make the old categories disappear from most lists; like the category list when you are entering a transaction.  You will still be able to see it in reports if you want to see the old categories in your reports.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This question is posted in the Mac category and that answer is for QWin. Unfortunately, QMac does not have the ability to hide categories (although there's an Idea post about that).

Workaround: Create a new top level category called "zHidden". In the Categories window, drag and drop all the categories you want to hide to this making them subcategories. Since the zHidden category starts with "z", it will drop to the bottom of the lists, out of the way. But the categories will remain attached to the old transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jeremysard
    jeremysard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Excellent idea @RickO. It is unfortunate that I am learning over the years that Quicken seems to be shunning Mac user by including features on Windows software and not on Mac software.
  • Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Options
    I've only seen Quicken on Mac one time when I was helping a lady get her finances set up.  Quicken for Mac is way short on the features available to Windows users.  I would have thought this was a basic feature available for all versions.  Sorry for the bad advice.  If you ever switch to Quicken for Windows and want to hide a category my advice works.    
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @jeremysard Here's a link to the Idea thread requesting the ability to Hide categories:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7681036/mac-request-option-to-hide-categories-and-tags-updated-title-32-legacy-votes

Be sure to click that link and add your vote in the blue box. This idea is marked "Under Consideration", but more votes from users can help push it up the priority list.

The ability to hide categories (and tags, and securities) is one of those features which is a nicety but not a necessity; the developers spend most of their time on more pressing missing features. I think it's inevitable that being able to hide categories, tag and securities will be added in the future; how soon these thing might be tackled is anyone's guess.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.