Downsize from Deluxe to Starter version

If I downsize from Deluxe to Starter version, will I lose anything except the ability to "Track loans, investments, and retirement accounts all in one place", which I don't use anyway?

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Lhaff4870 said:
    I don't like having to pay each year what I was paying for 3 years before it changed to subscription.
    Well on that subject the best you can do is shop around, the retailers tend to have better prices.

For instance right now Quicken Deluxe is going for $38.99 at Costco.
    Staples has it for $31.19.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Very good. Thank you!
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @"Lhaff4870 ,

Quicken gives price breaks to New Users only! They are not A.T.&T.

You need to be sure that in Staples you buy the correct CD / DVD.

The Download Version is for New Users Only. The CD/DVD Version is not advertised for New Uses Only!

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't downgrade to Starter.

See this page for ongoing access to your data if you do not renew the subscription.  You can still enter new transactions manually, except for the Starter Edition which becomes read only and is limited.  And about 25% of your screen will be taken up with a reminder to renew.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

The Quicken Starter version does NOT support any investment type accounts, and if you decide to not renew the yearly subscription - your data file becomes Read-Only, which means you can't use it manually.

In the past, the Starter Edition did not have Tags so you had to upgrade to Deluxe or higher to use Tags. Windows Quicken 2004 and before used Class,  Class was renamed to TAG in newer versions (don't know when, after 2007).  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    But I'm not asking about not renewing, I'm asking about changing my Deluxe subscription to Starter.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Lhaff4870 said:
    If I downsize from Deluxe to Starter version, will I lose anything except the ability to "Track loans, investments, and retirement accounts all in one place", which I don't use anyway?

Yes you will.  That one line description of the limits doesn't capture all that is different.  See this comment for more differences BUT even this list might not be complete.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20151768/#Comment_20151768

And the warning @volvogirl was giving is if you ever don't renew your subscription the Starter version goes into read-only mode.
    Signature:
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    OK thanks for the info. I was just trying to save a couple of bucks by not paying for features I don't use, but I guess I'd better stick with Deluxe to be safe.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    I don't like having to pay each year what I was paying for 3 years before it changed to subscription.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Lhaff4870 said:
    Well on that subject the best you can do is shop around, the retailers tend to have better prices.

For instance right now Quicken Deluxe is going for $38.99 at Costco.
    Staples has it for $31.19.
    Signature:
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Very good. Thank you!
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @"Lhaff4870 ,

Quicken gives price breaks to New Users only! They are not A.T.&T.

You need to be sure that in Staples you buy the correct CD / DVD.

The Download Version is for New Users Only. The CD/DVD Version is not advertised for New Uses Only!

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @"Lhaff4870 ,
    > Quicken gives price breaks to New Users only! They are not A.T.&T.
    > You need to be sure that in Staples you buy the correct CD / DVD.
    > The Download Version is for New Users Only. The CD/DVD Version is not advertised for New Uses Only!

Thanks for the info. I found it at Office Depot for the same price.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    > @Lhaff4870 said:
    > I found it at Office Depot for the same price.

Well it looks like I wasted my money. My Deluxe subscription expired yesterday and I haven't yet found anything I couldn't do that I wanted to. I can still download my transactions from my banks and credit cards. Oh well, maybe I'll remember this next year :-)
This discussion has been closed.