How do you upgrade from Quicken Starter to Quicken Premier

I get a free version of Quicken Starter with Turbo Tax. How do you upgrade to the Premier version other than paying full price for the more robust version. One would think you could upgrade for the difference in list price 77.99 less 35.99.

Best Answers

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well I have a copy of Starter so I walked through the upgrade, and it doesn't offer any discount!

Note you start with:
    Help -> Add More Investing & Tax Tools (actually it doesn't matter which one in this area you pick they all take you to the same web page to pick what edition you want to upgrade to)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AC said: How do you upgrade to the Premier version
    BTW - just curious as to why are you looking at Premiere vs Deluxe ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• AC
    AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Ps56k2 - I want to use Premier primarily for Investment tracking.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AC said:
    Ps56k2 - I want to use Premier primarily for Investment tracking.
    Depending upon what you might actually use - the Deluxe version tracks, reports, and handles investments pretty well.  There are a few more extra reporting features in Premier - but for my Chase, Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, and TRowe - Deluxe works -
    And.. all the versions use the exact same software and Quicken QDF data file -
    just the extra features are turned on when you purchase that version or upgrade.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• AC
    AC Member ✭✭
    I chatted with Quicken Support and he said I would need to pay the full Premier price to upgrade. In any case, I found Premier at Best Buy on sale for $46.49, pretty close to the difference in suggested prices.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    AC said:
    I chatted with Quicken Support and he said I would need to pay the full Premier price to upgrade. In any case, I found Premier at Best Buy on sale for $46.49, pretty close to the difference in suggested prices.

Hi @AC ,

Only New Users Of Quicken Membership get price breaks. Once you become a member, you would need another Email Address to use for one year. Once your Quicken Membership expires, and don't wish to live without Quicken, for 30 days, to be treated as a new Member, I would buy a second copy of Quicken, when it is on sale to save money and hang onto the Activation Code, so it does not get lost.

Premier comes with Quicken Free Premium Support, where Starter and Deluxe, do not.

Under Premier: Priority access to customer support (a $49 value)*

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• AC
    AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the tip @thecreator . I did not notice that the lower cost was for new customers. It's a shame that Quicken does not value their long time customers even though it is existing customers that recommend the product, not new ones.

[Removed-Off Topic/ No Soliciting]
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    The following is from Quicken Help, How Do I Manage My Quicken Subscription
    Upgrade
    Upgrading will add a new set of features that aren't included in your current subscription tier. 
    Things to know
    • You can upgrade at any time during your subscription term, but no more than once every 30 days. 
    • When you upgrade, the prorate for your original subscription value is added on as additional time to the new subscription.
    • You can redeem an activation code in a retail copy to upgrade your subscription once every 30 days. 
    Note that the second bullet indicates you should get some additional time added to a new one year subscription.  Also, the third bullet indicates that if you can find a retail DVD on sale, it can be used instead of paying the full price through Quicken.  For example, Staples is currently offering the Deluxe version for windows for about $32. Just be sure you get a normal DVD version (one without the big yellow banner) rather than the download for new subscribers.  I recently downgraded to Deluxe using a retail package when my subscription was due for renewal and it worked fine. 
    Note: as @Ps56k2 indicated, I also find Deluxe more than adequate for my simple investment tracking requirements.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

This discussion has been closed.