New Budget in Quicken for Mac not showing transactions for a certain category

I recently created a new personal budget and selected all the categories I want reflected on the report. All the categories are showing properly, however, one income category that has transactions reported this year isn't showing any values in the summary section for that specific category in the budget. This is a very strange issue because in a previous budget I created and used in Quicken - that same category is showing values just fine. I tried checking the following:

1) Was it listed properly as an 'Income' type of category?
2) Were the transactions listed in this category actually dated appropriately this year?
3) was there anything else strange going on with how the transactions were labeled or listed?

I couldn't find anything strange going on based on some of the things I looked into above. I even tried renaming the category and some other things, but nothing has worked so far. It's really puzzling. If anyone has an answer to this I'd love to hear what might be going on. If worst comes to worst I can always try to update the old budget I had that was allowing this particular category to work.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @seattlesurpher

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd as it sounds like you have everything organized and checked to make sure it's set up. If you wouldn't mind could we get a couple of screenshots of the budget and a couple of transactions with the category to see if we're able to find anything else as well. I'll leave instructions down below.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac#latest

Note you may need to drag the photos into the response box so that you're able to add the photos. 

Once you get the chance let us know a bit more and we'll see what we can try. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Is this a stand-alone category, or a sub-category of another, or a category with sub-categories? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hi Francisco,

Thanks so much for your response. Sorry I wasn't able to respond back sooner. Attached are some screenshots from my Quicken program. I'm really not sure why the transactions still aren't showing up, but we're in February 2021 now and the transactions for the category Business Draw (Personal) - which I created to show when we transfer funds from my wife and my businesses to our personal account (basically our net personal income) - it does show on a previous budget I created awhile back, but not in this new 2021 budget. It's a head scratcher for sure. You'll see from the screenshots there are indeed transactions in the category I'm talking about, but they're just not showing up on that budget report for some reason.

@Jacobs - as far as I know the category I created should be a stand-alone "income" category. I just tried to label this particular type of transfer transaction as a "Draw" type of transaction we could track in our budget...to see how much we've actually "netted" for a given month.

Thanks guys! Hope we can solve this so I can start tracking this visually on the budget report.

-Josh
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @seattlesurpher

Thank you for the response and the screenshots. I have few things I want to check to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Please navigate to the budget and choose "Edit Budget" and then choose "Select Accounts." Is the account holding these draw transactions being included in the budget?

If this has been included already, I would try to uncheck and recheck this account to see if this corrects the issue.

If that does not appear to be it, I would then navigate to the account in question and select "Columns" in the bottom right and add the "Transfer" column. Do these transactions contain any information in this field?

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Hi Tyka,

Thanks for the further info. I went to the specific budget report in question and unchecked all accounts, saved and then tried rechecking the account with this particular transaction in there...and unfortunately nothing changed. I tried a few other things of checking and unchecking, but nothing really made a difference.

I did go to the transaction detail in the account where these transactions show and added the "Transfer" field and noticed that it has something in there indeed...I don't notice this particular label on other transfers listed in the account so I'm a little puzzled by what this means exactly. Let me know your thoughts. I'm providing another screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

Ps. I do notice that this label type in the "Transfer" field for those transactions starts this year (2021)...and that might explain why the transactions without it in 2020 aren't being effected on previous reports.

Thanks,
    Josh
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

@seattlesurpher

Thanks for the update. Being that you gave done a couple things here -- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Sounds good. Thanks Francisco!
  • aaron
    aaron Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    are these supposed to be transfers between two accounts you track in quicken? if so, you should not be getting the "Account Not Synced" in the transfer column. Try replacing those with the correct account it is supposed to be transferred to/from. You then must choose the TO: Scotch Pine Checking or FROM: Scotch Pine Checking when you select categories for a budget. Selecting the category Business Draw (Personal) will not work since they are transfers.
  • Thanks Aaron. It appears I can click on the transaction and point them to the right account, but I think it was determined with the Quicken Support person I talked to that my datafile could be corrupt. I ran into some Operating System issues at the beginning of this year and had to reinstall a fresh Mac OS copy and re-install Quicken and import the backup datafile. I'm not sure if that's exactly the culprit, but that's when things started getting out of sync with that particular category. Everything we looked at and tried didn't seem to make a difference to allowing that category to behave normally (like it was in 2020 with those same transactions and category type). The transfers are indeed between two accounts that we track and something just got out of sync I think with the data.

Nevertheless, it appears that I could manually correct some of the "Account Not Synced" errors, but it wasn't clear if I'd have to continue doing this every time I downloaded those particular transactions. Some of the labeling got lost too when I manually pointed the transaction to the right accounts (coming from and going to).

Anyway, I realized it may be beneficial after years of out of sync accounts that needed to be reconciled badly...it might actually be a good time to just start fresh with a new data sync and updated linking to all of our accounts. I went ahead and bit-the-bullet so to speak and I know I can reference those previous back-up's for any reporting I need to do. So far everything is syncing and showing up properly with a fresh datafile...just a lot of work to reorganize categories and label transactions.

Thanks much for everyone's help!
    -Josh
This discussion has been closed.