Phantom transaction that I can see and edit but can't save or delete.

When I update Quicken puts it in again. That tells me Quicken doesn't see it either other than the amount is included in the register balance which throws off my reconciliation with the online balance.

Best Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @t_schlueter

Thanks for the update. Let's try to see if we might be able to fix the issue with a super validate. You can do this by going across the top to File > File operations > (HOLD SHIFT + CTRL) Validate and repair > Super validate file.

Once you've done this let us know if you still have the phantom transaction. We'll see what we can try next if that does not work.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    I don't have a super validate option. Attached are my version info and validate screens.
    We all have the super validate option:  press the Left Shift and Left Ctrl keys and select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Shift and control don't do anything so I use the menu to get to the same place. The screen shot I attached clearly does not say Super. Maybe my Validate does the same thing which I have tried on several occasions.
    You need to press and hold the Left Shift and Left Ctrl keys while you select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair.... to get to the Super Validate option.

Answers

• t_schlueter
    t_schlueter Member ✭✭
    FYI, I've validated the file as well as reset cloud.
  • t_schlueter
    t_schlueter Member ✭✭
    I should mention as well that the transaction goes back to May, 2019 but has only been a problem recently.
  • Quicken Francisco

Hello @t_schlueter

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here is this are you getting this error in the cloud or are you getting it inside your file. If you could get us a screenshot of the issue so that we're able to take a deeper look. I'll leave an article down below on how to do so.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once you get a chance let us know more and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• t_schlueter
    t_schlueter Member ✭✭
    It's not an error. It's a simple transaction that I can edit fields but won't let me save it after I've made an edit. Nor will it let me delete it. When I update the transaction appears again. I can delete that entry but it just comes back the next time I update. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like just before I click on the "Yes" at which point it simply returns to the screen like nothing happened.

Tim
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓
    @t_schlueter

Thanks for the update. Let's try to see if we might be able to fix the issue with a super validate. You can do this by going across the top to File > File operations > (HOLD SHIFT + CTRL) Validate and repair > Super validate file.

Once you've done this let us know if you still have the phantom transaction. We'll see what we can try next if that does not work.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you recreate the account register: save a backup, create a new offline register, move all the transactions except the phantom transaction from the original register to the new register, reset any reminders and memorized transactions referring to the original register, delete the original register, and rename the new register and setup the Online Services.  You may want to review: FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts?
  • t_schlueter
    t_schlueter Member ✭✭
    I don't have a super validate option. Attached are my version info and validate screens.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We all have the super validate option:  press the Left Shift and Left Ctrl keys and select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...

• t_schlueter
    t_schlueter Member ✭✭
    Shift and control don't do anything so I use the menu to get to the same place. The screen shot I attached clearly does not say Super. Maybe my Validate does the same thing which I have tried on several occasions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You need to press and hold the Left Shift and Left Ctrl keys while you select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair.... to get to the Super Validate option.
  • t_schlueter
    t_schlueter Member ✭✭
    Ha, well that makes a difference! I ran it and the log indicates that it fixed that particular transaction. I was then able to delete it. I ran an update which didn't put it back in so I entered it manually. So far so good. I'll have to remember that super validate operation!
  • Quicken Francisco
    @t_schlueter

I'm glad to hear that the super validate worked for you! If you do run into any more issues please let us know so that we're able to take another look if needed.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco