I transferred stocks from Vgd broker to Fidelity and need to transfer shares on Quicken

Options
Before I could do the transfer on Quicken, Fidelity did the download and I have no idea how it was done automatically because I do not do that - Automatic is OFF, but I had had a problem with the download that day on the 3rd and kept trying it and getting error message and apparently when I turned my back somehow Fidelity got all my stocks transferred in automatically so it was done. NOW I'm stuck with no cost basis so I'm wanting to know if I should delete the Fidelity postings which were 'Added' and Vanguard 'Removed'. But I'm thinking if I do that it will just give me zero cost and only put back current number of shares into Vanguard with no cost. Am I right? What can I do now to get my cost into Fidelity where it all needs to be. There are 9 stocks involved. Currently the Vanguard account on Quicken shows zero holdings and cost and everything is not there altho the Security screen for each stock shows details.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you delete the transactions entered for the transfer in both accounts, open the Vanguard account, select Enter Transactions, select Shares Transferred Between Accounts in the Enter transaction: pull-down menu, choose All securities, and select Enter/Done.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Tabatha said:
    OK, I was tempted to do that but wasn't sure if it would go back as before into the Vgd acct. Will the method u show bring cost basis over and all purchases and sales for those stocks?
    Yes. That is why I suggest you do it.  Quicken should generate one Removed transaction for each security in the Vanguard account, and an Added action transactions for every lot of every security that was held at the Vanguard account in the Fidelity account.  Each of these Added transactions should have the correct acquisition date and cost of the original lot.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Tabatha said:
    Sherlock, I appreciate your advice and I did it but it does not produce cost so my columns in Quicken for Gain/Loss, percentage, ROI etc are blank. It only brought over the number of shares and total $$ and that total $$ amount is what shows as my GAIN. I did it the way you explained; it was easy to do - I have one of those stocks which I had for 2 years and many buys and sells so I need that especially to come over. Most of these are from 2020 but I still want to not have to post manually.
    I suggest you restore the backup and try again...

The first step is to remove the placeholder, Added, and Removed transactions associated with the transfer imported when you updated.  Check the account holdings to make sure you've removed the appropriate transactions.  There should be a cost basis for every lot to be transferred.

The second step is to use the Shares Transferred Between Accounts wizard.  When it is complete, check the account holdings to make sure the lots have been transferred.  There should be a cost basis for every lot added.

To check the account holdings, open the account and select Holdings.  At the top of the Account Overview window, the holdings are displayed.  You can set an appropriate As of: date and view the lots by left-clicking on the  left of each security.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Tabatha said:
    OK, success! I had to do it over as it went into Cash instead of Investments. Best to do this sort of thing early morning I think. Everything looks good except for some reason there is a remaining credit balance in Vgd acct. over $3k under Return, which I don't understand as I think it should be a zero. I've seen that happen before when transferring other accounts.
    Thank you so much for your help, Sherlock.
    Tabatha
    The cash holding should be transferred separately (not by the Shares Transferred Between Accounts wizard).

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you delete the transactions entered for the transfer in both accounts, open the Vanguard account, select Enter Transactions, select Shares Transferred Between Accounts in the Enter transaction: pull-down menu, choose All securities, and select Enter/Done.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Tabatha
    Tabatha Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, I was tempted to do that but wasn't sure if it would go back as before into the Vgd acct. Will the method u show bring cost basis over and all purchases and sales for those stocks?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Tabatha said:
    Yes. That is why I suggest you do it.  Quicken should generate one Removed transaction for each security in the Vanguard account, and an Added action transactions for every lot of every security that was held at the Vanguard account in the Fidelity account.  Each of these Added transactions should have the correct acquisition date and cost of the original lot.
  • Tabatha
    Tabatha Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock, I appreciate your advice and I did it but it does not produce cost so my columns in Quicken for Gain/Loss, percentage, ROI etc are blank. It only brought over the number of shares and total $$ and that total $$ amount is what shows as my GAIN. I did it the way you explained; it was easy to do - I have one of those stocks which I had for 2 years and many buys and sells so I need that especially to come over. Most of these are from 2020 but I still want to not have to post manually.
  • Tabatha
    Tabatha Member ✭✭
    Options
    I think I see a problem - doing it again -
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Tabatha said:
    I suggest you restore the backup and try again...

The first step is to remove the placeholder, Added, and Removed transactions associated with the transfer imported when you updated.  Check the account holdings to make sure you've removed the appropriate transactions.  There should be a cost basis for every lot to be transferred.

The second step is to use the Shares Transferred Between Accounts wizard.  When it is complete, check the account holdings to make sure the lots have been transferred.  There should be a cost basis for every lot added.

To check the account holdings, open the account and select Holdings.  At the top of the Account Overview window, the holdings are displayed.  You can set an appropriate As of: date and view the lots by left-clicking on the  left of each security.
  • Tabatha
    Tabatha Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, success! I had to do it over as it went into Cash instead of Investments. Best to do this sort of thing early morning I think. Everything looks good except for some reason there is a remaining credit balance in Vgd acct. over $3k under Return, which I don't understand as I think it should be a zero. I've seen that happen before when transferring other accounts.
    Tabatha
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Tabatha said:
    Tabatha
    The cash holding should be transferred separately (not by the Shares Transferred Between Accounts wizard).
This discussion has been closed.