Quicken Cloud syncing led to loss of data

Edmund
Edmund Member
Every time when the message like "syncing with Quicken Cloud" appeared, there is a loss of data I entered for after Feb 3. This happened even after I recovered from the backup file. If syncing with Quicken Cloud is causing the loss of data, how can I disable this function (I don't need to use Quicken Cloud).

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Edmund said:
    Hello Sherlock, thanks for your help and the guidelines. Unfortunately, I did not find any cloud dataset/account associated my Quicken ID in the Quicken profile window. May I ask what's the other alternative for resolving my data loss problem linked to Quicken Cloud?
    To view the cloud dataset/account associated  your Quicken ID in the Quicken profile window, you need to enable sync: select Edit > Preferences...

Select OK.  Then, select Edit > Preferences...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Edmund said:
    Hello Sherlock, I managed to delete the cloud account associated with my file. Now my file is not linked to my Quicken ID, the problem still exists - any new data entered is lost whenever I reopen the file. When I run the validation test, the log stated "damaged data block, Quicken repaired some transaction information, no action required". Could it be besides Quicken Cloud, there are other problems with my file? Thanks again
    Every Quicken file is associated with a Quicken ID.  When we open a Quicken file that does not have a cloud account, the cloud account is recreated automatically.  If the Quicken file is damaged, the cloud account may also be damaged and, if the cloud account isn't reset properly, the Quicken file may be damaged.

If you're not able to locate a good backup, you may want to try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

• Edmund
    Edmund Member
    Hello Sherlock, thanks for your help and the guidelines. Unfortunately, I did not find any cloud dataset/account associated my Quicken ID in the Quicken profile window. May I ask what's the other alternative for resolving my data loss problem linked to Quicken Cloud?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Edmund said:
    To view the cloud dataset/account associated  your Quicken ID in the Quicken profile window, you need to enable sync: select Edit > Preferences...

Select OK.  Then, select Edit > Preferences...

• Edmund
    Edmund Member
    Hello Sherlock, I managed to delete the cloud account associated with my file. Now my file is not linked to my Quicken ID, the problem still exists - any new data entered is lost whenever I reopen the file. When I run the validation test, the log stated "damaged data block, Quicken repaired some transaction information, no action required". Could it be besides Quicken Cloud, there are other problems with my file? Thanks again
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Edmund said:
    Every Quicken file is associated with a Quicken ID.  When we open a Quicken file that does not have a cloud account, the cloud account is recreated automatically.  If the Quicken file is damaged, the cloud account may also be damaged and, if the cloud account isn't reset properly, the Quicken file may be damaged.

If you're not able to locate a good backup, you may want to try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Edmund
    Edmund Member
    Thanks Sherlock, I've managed to rebuild my file with an old January backup file.
This discussion has been closed.