Quicken shows only HSA cash reserve but none of my investments

My employer recently changed to a new HSA administrator (HealthEquity). I've been trying to set up this new account on Quicken. It only shows up as a savings or checking account instead of an investment account, and investment account is not an option that's available. Quicken downloads the HSA cash reserve balance but none of the funds I've invested in, even though those show up in transactions
Tagged:

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In some HSAs the investments are in a separate account, which may or may not support downloading. In this case the investments are in a separate Quicken account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jeff Armin
    Jeff Armin Member ✭✭
    Just to be clear - With HealthEquity there's no way to download my investments into that account? Only the cash reserve balance? Am I able to manually add/update my investments? Thanks for the reply.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HealthEquity doesn't appear to make investment available for download.  Here's the FIDIR.TXT entry for HE, as compared to one for Fidelity Investments.
        HealthEquity    https://www.healthequity.com/    801-727-1000    https://my.healthequity.com/HE.aspx    ACTIVE                   BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT   

Fidelity Investments    http://www.Fidelity.com    (800) 544-7931    http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/partners/quicken/disclaimer.shtml    ACTIVE    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT

Note that the entry for HE doesn't include "Investment".  You need to bug HE to get THEM to make this info available.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further note, that per HE's website (my wife has an HSA with them) there's no reference to downloading investments into Q. It only references "savings" accounts.

Can I export my HealthEquity account information to Quicken?

HealthEquity has seamless integration with Quicken through their 'Express Direct Connect' tool. This will allow you to view your HealthEquity balance information through your Quicken account.

Setting up the integration takes about five minutes and requires you to enter your HealthEquity username and password.

Once logged into your Quicken account, go to the 'Tools' menu and choose to add a savings account. From that point, Quicken will walk you through the setup process.

Please note that the process will require a multi-factor authentication email from Quicken. This is a standard part of their security process.

• czerk89
    czerk89 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    If HealthEquity doesn't make it available, how is it that [removed] is able to pull in both the cash reserve and investment account? And for [removed], I entered the same HE login+password, and it pulled the investment account automatically. So HE clearly makes it available to pull. Can Quicken be updated to pull the same way?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What another product offers is totally irrelevant to what Q offers.

• Jeff Armin
    Jeff Armin Member ✭✭
    I have all of my outside investment accounts linked on the Vanguard site. They use a service called Yodlee to update all accounts daily. It actually created two accounts for the HE HSA - one for the cash balance and the other for investments. Works like a charm.
  • Jim_Harman
    If your HSA provider does not support downloading the investment side of the account to Quicken, you can set up and track the investing account manually.

Quicken does not use Yodlee.
  • ai14
    ai14 Member
    I have the same issue. Have you been able to solve the problem?
  • Jim_Harman
    @ai14, who is the provider for your HSA? Some only offer downloads for the savings part of the account, or you must set up a second account for the investments.
  • afesnak
    afesnak Member
    edited October 2021
    Hi all, has there ever been a resolution of this question? I also have this issue and am new to Quicken. I don't understand why other platforms [Removed - Solicitation] sync to both cash and investment HealthEquity accounts without difficulty, but Quicken can't. I am still in the trial period and will likely not use Quicken if it can't sync with this account. If it hasn't been resolved, does anyone have a work around?
  • Jim_Harman
    Some HSA providers, like Fidelity, combine the investing and payment parts into one account. Others, like HSA Bank, have separate accounts for investments and payments that you can set up separately in Quicken. Still others do not support downloading of your investments, but you can enter those transactions manually.

A quick search indicates that HealthEquity does not support investment downloading, but of course you can set up an investing account and enter those transactions manually.

You should check with HealthEquity to be sure.

• LizzieT
    LizzieT Member ✭✭
    This is an issue that Quicken needs to deal with. The download from Health Equity notes each and every transaction, including investments, but for whatever reason can't total them? As stated above, Q will only reflect the savings component of the account. It's not feasible for the user to enter investment transactions manually if the HealthEquity account is set up for auto-balancing, there are too many transactions. I think this is why we have to pay Quicken for annual subscription - responsive customer service and adaptation to customer needs? Quicken - step up!
  • Jim_Harman
    Is your Health Equity account is set up as a Banking account or an investing account?

Of course a Banking account cannot build investments.

What transactions are downloaded when an investment pays a dividend? When you buy or sell a security?
  • afesnak
    afesnak Member
    edited November 2021
    Hi Jim,
    I'm not sure re LizzieT, but for me the savings account syncs as a banking account and the investment account does not appear as a syncable account when I log in to HealthEquity via Quicken. I've given up entirely having the transactions crossover as I've tried every trick I can think of. I do not intend to manually record since other products [removed - no solicitation] can sync seamlessly.
This discussion has been closed.