Duplicate USAA Transactions

WFGQuick
WFGQuick Member ✭✭
I had to re-establish my USAA downloads for Quicken about a week ago because of the layout problem and I am now getting some of the transactions twice on consecutive days. The download contained a $150 transfer for my checking on Sunday and then again on Monday. On the same days, my credit card received a $20 charge from a doctor's office. It is not happening with every transaction, but one or two each day.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes USAA is sending pending transactions when they shouldn't.
    Here is a thread with more details (reversed signs on the pending transactions happen in "some cases"):
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887428/usaa-transaction-downloads-are-now-reversed
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Corey J
    Corey J Member ✭✭
    MINE IS FIXED!
    I deactivated online services for all 8 of my USAA accounts in the "Account Details". This must be done one at a time. I restarted Quicken. I set up Online Services again but this time I clicked on the get a special ID and PIN from USAA for use only in quicken option. It took me to my USAA login, I logged in, entered my code from my text message, and then the USAA website page gave me a special ID/PIN for Quicken use only. I've never done it this way before. I used that in quicken and now all my accounts updated. There were some balancing issues as I've been dealing with this for a week and have partial downloads of the activity. Now all my online balances match my balance. I was ready to quit Quicken. I hope that helps.
  • GibbyCJ
    GibbyCJ Member ✭✭✭
    I saw a message on the main thread from Quicken Sarah on issues with transactions coming in reversed. It does not mention duplicate transactions. After the first update and download, I now continue to get the same transactions to download.
  • jw9251
    jw9251 Member
    edited February 2021
    when i auto update some transaction that have came in and have been reconciled in register are being downloaed again
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @GibbyCJ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not this is caused by an issue within your current data file.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account and the same USAA account you are experiencing the duplicate downloads issue with from your original data file.

After adding an account, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• GibbyCJ
    GibbyCJ Member ✭✭✭
    Product is Home, Business and Rental Property.
    Version: R31.12
    Build: 27.1.31.12

I did just get an update yesterday or today, but the problem has been happening since the second connection to USAA post change over to new ID and access code a few weeks ago.

I set up a new test file, and am logged in properly. I have attempted to add the USAA account (using the "USAA Federal Savings Bank - New" version). When prompted I have entered the Access ID and Access Pin information that allows me to connect in the master file, then prompts for a 4 digit pin. I have attempted with my normal 4 digit pin for their site, and using the 0000 option as well, and it never connects. Perhaps I need to request another Access ID and Pin since this is another file?
  • GibbyCJ
    GibbyCJ Member ✭✭✭
    I posted a similar post this morning - working with Quicken now to test why it might be happening
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @GibbyCJ Thanks for the additional information.

In that case, then go ahead and just switch back to your original file. I wouldn't want you to request a new Access ID and PIN for the new file and then end up having that result in causing further and/or new issues with your main data file.

Let's try a different approach instead - If you don't mind, I'd like to have you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is an ongoing problem with the information USAA is sending.  There isn't anything wrong with the data file.  See this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887428/usaa-transaction-downloads-pending-transactions-edited
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This is a known problem with what USAA is sending:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887428/usaa-transaction-downloads-pending-transactions-edited

They are sending the pending transactions (lots of times with the wrong sign) and then when they post they send them again, with a different unique Id I might add.  That is what causes the duplicate transactions.
    Signature:
  • GibbyCJ
    GibbyCJ Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Chris_QPW . I had already attempted the test above - we shall see what tomorrow brings.
    @Quicken Anja -- I did the normal validation -- it looks like it brought in only one new transaction this afternoon. I will test again tomorrow and see what occurs....
  • WFGQuick
    WFGQuick Member ✭✭
    I am now getting the "reversed" transactions, deposits that come in as withdrawals, as well as duplicate transactions.

Does deactivating-reactivating correct this issue?
  • WFGQuick
    WFGQuick Member ✭✭
    I just noticed that my "online balance" is off and does not reflect the reversed transaction at all.
  • cobbersmom
    cobbersmom Member ✭✭
    I updated my USAA accounts as instructed deactivate and then reactivate with new password. Now several accounts from our financial accounts which are automatic transfers between the D A Davidson financial services AND USAA have disappeared even sometimes back to 4/2020. When I go to "go to transfer" in the drop down list or some other such name it now tells me that account does not exist. I assume this is because of the "USAA New" designation when deactivating and reactivating and new password etc. Very Frustrating. Not sure how to fix this issue. This is mainly when transferring from one account to another. Any suggestions.
  • Aldur
    Aldur Member ✭✭
    Same here. After following:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/usaa-bank-direct-connect-customers-ol-220-or-http-405-error

I am not starting to get duplicate transactions (No reversed yet).

Anyone know if USAA or Quicken has this as an active issue, and any fixes?
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I have seen this (getting duplicate transactions - some transactions downloaded again on different days) in a few of my USAA accounts AFTER doing the deactivate/reactivate procedure and it seems random. I DELETE the duplicate downloaded transactions and all is well. Will be fine for a few days and then occurs again. My bigger issue is that when doing a reconciliation, Quicken is including all pending transactions the Statement Ending Balance. This results in a value that can be quite different than the one for all posted (downloaded) transactions. Not sure if USAA is sending the wrong data field or if the problem is due to recent changes in Quicken. Result - can no longer get USAA Checking account to reconcile!! (Unless I go online, view all pending transactions and manually enter them into Quicken and then do a reconciliation.) Ugh!
  • GibbyCJ
    GibbyCJ Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja - I am continuing to work in the file that I copied and performed the validation process in. I am continuing to see the original behavior. Transactions from USAA (and only USAA) are downloaded and accepted one day, and then they show up again the next day.
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Still Downloading as new previously (recent) reconciled transactions.  Recommend all "new" transactions be reviewed carefully for duplicates.  Matches seem to be working normally. 
  • twrice88
    twrice88 Member ✭✭
    Ever since USAA changed their servers and I started using the "USAA Federal Savings Bank - New" connection I get duplicate transactions in all USAA accounts downloaded one day apart. I've been submitting these under Help -> Report a Problem, but have not seen any action. It's been happening for a couple weeks now.
  • twrice88
    twrice88 Member ✭✭
    OK, found this thread after posting the above question on 2/19. Seems like this is an ongoing issue with USAA sending the same data twice, and no amount of account deactivation/activation or Quicken data file manipulation will fix that. So, for now I will continue to delete the duplicates as they come in. What is the status of getting USAA to stop sending "pending" transactions?
  • ddenucci
    ddenucci Member ✭✭✭
    Duplicate transactions from USAA have a different reference ID (see attached). Hence Quicken software detects each as distinct, resulting in duplicates. Those transactions downloaded beginning "MDI...." are likely pending transactions which should not be downloading. The solutions is for Quicken to work with USAA to resolve the issue. In the interim, Quicken should consider upgrading its software to ignore USAA transactions beginning with "MDI......." (pending transactions). User measures such as file validation and so forth are unlikely to be useful until these fundamental issues are resolved by Quicken.
  • rodmar1
    rodmar1 Member ✭✭
    I am receiving duplicative/redundant transaction downloads. Anyone else?
  • carnellc
    carnellc Member
    First quicken account update post USAA fix, my account now shows a -1,8500 delta between bank account and quicken account. Due to the date range (2017-2021) I was unable to find all duplicate transactions thus driving a manual "account" adjustment.

(verified via backup file that the quicken account was reporting correct balance before USAA fix)

Second update (today) again showed more duplicate transactions that were previously recored/downloaded a few days earlier.

Should I expect this behavior for every download going forward? If so, this renders Quicken useless!
  • twrice88
    twrice88 Member ✭✭
    > @ddenucci said:
    > Duplicate transactions from USAA have a different reference ID (see attached).

That's pretty cool. I'm not seeing the reference ID in my register, and it does not appear to be a column I can add. Where do you find the reference ID.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    carnellc said:
    First quicken account update post USAA fix, my account now shows a -1,8500 delta between bank account and quicken account. Due to the date range (2017-2021) I was unable to find all duplicate transactions thus driving a manual "account" adjustment.

(verified via backup file that the quicken account was reporting correct balance before USAA fix)

Second update (today) again showed more duplicate transactions that were previously recored/downloaded a few days earlier.

Should I expect this behavior for every download going forward? If so, this renders Quicken useless!
    See my posts at the beginning of this thread.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    twrice88 said:
    > That's pretty cool. I'm not seeing the reference ID in my register, and it does not appear to be a column I can add. Where do you find the reference ID.
    The column you want to turn on is called downloaded ID

Signature:
  • twrice88
    twrice88 Member ✭✭
    Nice. You can see right where the issue started:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @twrice88 I'm curious, is your USAA credit card setup with Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?  (Ctrl+a to get the account list will show it, or it is at the top of the register)

I know in the past that the credit card only had Express Web Connect, but that might have changed with the new servers and such.  The unique Ids don't look like the kind you get with Direct Connect on the checking/savings accounts.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note this seems that whereas the pending/duplicate problem for checking/savings accounts might be fixed now.  There is a separate similar problem for the credit card accounts, which might be why people have "different results".  I don't have a USAA credit card so I can't verify that part of it.
    Signature:
  • twrice88
    twrice88 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW , it is indeed connecting via Direct Connect. When they changed the servers, I followed the process to obtain a new and different user ID and PIN, and all the USAA accounts were setup at one time. And, I can verify that the checking accounts are not fixed. See attachment for duplicate Wells Fargo ATM withdrawals, with real looking transaction IDs.
This discussion has been closed.