net worth is off

donna p
donna p Member ✭✭
on my home page, the net worth shows differently from the net worth in the Account balance on the left. Why would that be?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @donna p

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• donna p
    donna p Member ✭✭
    Can someone help me with this? the net worth on the left has one number, while the net worth on the home page is different. Why would that be?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The value in the Account Bar, on the left, can be set to display either current balance,  for ending balance (which would include future dated transactions).
    This is set by right clicking in the account bar and selecting the options that you want.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• donna p
    donna p Member ✭✭
    Thank you, but this is not the problem. For some reason there is a 200K+ discrepancy in one of my accounts, and I cannot locate a transaction of that amount. The account list on the left is current and ties out with my statements. The net worth square on the home page with the same accounts listed is wildly off base on 2 of the 3 accounts. Cannot figure out for the life of me where that came from
  • donna p
    donna p Member ✭✭
    It's the Net Worth by Assets and Liabilities tile that is totally off
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of account is different?  You could have transactions dated in the future or even a stock or fund price dated in the future.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• I have the same problem. A couple of my investment accounts show a different price when I run a net worth report or account balance report verse what is displayed on the account bar. One of the accounts is off by $20k. This started within the last year as I print out year end reports to see how my investments are doing, and everything matched at the end of 2019. I've looked through the account transactions over the last year and haven't seen any discrepancies that would cause this glitch. Got any ideas how to fix this?
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    When creating an account balances report for the current date with a specific date range, with no interval, the end balances match the side bar. If you change the interval to yearly the end balances still match the sidebar account balances. However, if you change the interval to 6 months, quarterly, monthly, etc... the ending balance does not match the sidebar amount for an investment IRA account. nothing is being changed except the interval. This in no way should change the current or ending balance of an account in the report. I have seen other members comments regarding this problem, the common answer is to validate and repair. I have done this with no issues. The other common denominator is my IRA account is very active with lots of transactions. I day trade the account. I suspect a bug in the report that occurs in accounts with large amounts of transaction history. I have recently switched to the simple view for the account, and there was no change in the report behavior either way. I am running R31.12 Build 27.1.31.12. This issue has been around for a while. DGA
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hi @DGA Just a thought - do you have multiple currencies in your accounts or just US?
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    I just use US currency. I trade through Fidelity's active trader platform. I trade mostly equities and a few ETF's.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @DGA

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is quite odd since like you said you should only have the difference in the intervals not anything else. If you could get us a couple of screenshots of the differences that might help us with figuring out what's going on. I'll leave an article down below on how to do so.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we able to find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• donna p
    donna p Member ✭✭
    MY accounts are all correct in every other place. Only difference is the Home Page Net worth tile. I look at that and then at the account list on the left and it is totally different
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    Quicken Francisco,
    I ran a report for the account in question. No interval & Yearly interval are correct and ending balance matches the sidebar / true account balance. The 6 month and quarterly interval changes the ending balances. This account is large with huge 's of transactions. I suspect there is some kind of rounding error occurring when increasing the interval. See attached PDF reports.
    Thanks,
    DGA
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    Quicken Francisco,
    Also note the ending balances are not the same on the 6 month and quarterly intervals.
    DGA
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @donna p

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Net Worth by Assets & Liabilities" display can get stuck showing incorrect totals.
    You must force a refresh by customizing the view, removing the "Net Worth" item and then adding the item back in from the "Property & Debt" section of the available items.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• I'm having the same problem. The Net Worth shown in the left-column on any Quicken page is correct. However, the number reported on the Net Worth report is way off as is the Net Worth widget on the homepage.

Having forced to pay a yearly subscription fee for this software now, I expected better results than this.
  • donna p
    donna p Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I also have one account that shows off 92 million dollars! that account has never had more than 18K in it. I cannot find that amount anywhere, but I can see where the total changed in april. It really screws me up. I have to remove the account from balances or it is too distracting. 
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    When creating an account balances report for the current date with a specific date range, with no interval, the end balances match the side bar. If you change the interval to yearly the end balances still match the sidebar account balances. However, if you change the interval to 6 months, quarterly, monthly, etc... the ending balance does not match the sidebar amount for an investment IRA account. nothing is being changed except the interval. This in no way should change the current or ending balance of an account in the report. I have seen other members comments regarding this problem, the common answer is to validate and repair. I have done this with no issues. The other common denominator is my IRA account is very active with lots of transactions. I day trade the account. I suspect a bug in the report that occurs in accounts with large amounts of transaction history. I have recently switched to the simple view for the account, and there was no change in the report behavior either way. I am running R32.12 Build 27.1.32.12. This issue has been around for a while and is still occurring. DGA
  • KMorgan
    KMorgan Member ✭✭
    I had posted on having the same problem a few days ago. Thought I solved it by making sure all hidden accounts were not selected and got within a few pennies. Added a new account, and the massive difference is back again and nothing works to fix it. Did anyone get a correction on this after all?
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    No, the problem remains the same.
  • Bob Long
    Bob Long Member ✭✭
    This problem has vexed me for a long time - Rocket J Squirrel had the correct answer for me. i.e.: "The "Net Worth by Assets & Liabilities" display can get stuck showing incorrect totals. You must force a refresh by customizing the view, removing the "Net Worth" item and then adding the item back in from the "Property & Debt" section of the available items." Seems that with all of the people reporting this issue, Quicken could figure out why the display is not refreshing properly and fix the problem!
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    This does not solve the issue of interval reporting.
    When creating an account balances report for the current date with a specific date range, with no interval, the end balances match the side bar. If you change the interval to yearly the end balances still match the sidebar account balances. However, if you change the interval to 6 months, quarterly, monthly, etc... the ending balance does not match the sidebar amount for an investment IRA account. nothing is being changed except the interval. This in no way should change the current or ending balance of an account in the report.
  • JZY
    JZY Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. Looks like the retirement accounts asset amount are off, for all interval or no interval.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    donna p said:
    I also have one account that shows off 92 million dollars! that account has never had more than 18K in it. I cannot find that amount anywhere, but I can see where the total changed in april. It really screws me up. I have to remove the account from balances or it is too distracting. 

This is caused by a corrupted Q data  file ... and has been discussed, well, 92 million  times.  Do a search at that top of this forum's home page for those other discussions.

• Klhansen
    Klhansen Member ✭✭✭
    Some additional information regarding the net worth bug.
    I did a search and found that this bug has been reported quite a while ago, and Quicken support has been involved, but no resolution has been found.
    I recently needed to generate a net worth report and discovered that one account showed a very large negative!!! balance, although it does show the correct balance when viewed in the account itself.
    I tracked down the issue to a single September 27, 2017 transaction by narrowing the date range on the net worth report for that account, and deleted and re-entered all the transactions for that date. When that didn't help, I deleted and reentered them individually to discover the culprit. Without that entry, the net worth report showed the correct account balance. It doesn't matter whether I just do a current date Net worth Report or a range - the problem still appears.
    The attached exported net worth and transaction reports (filtered to just that single problem account) show that the purchase of a single share of National Grid PLC blows up the net worth report. This is a consistent issue. How would one seemingly normal entry kill a report like that?
    It would sure be nice if one could depend on the reports being correct. I don't need the Net Worth report that often, fortunately, and the scale of the error makes it easy to spot. It does however throw suspicion on the rest of the numbers shown in that report and the software overall. What if it hadn't been so easy to spot, and the report needed to be submitted to an agency that insisted on accuracy, IRS, for instance?
    Using Quicken Deluxe Version R37.67, Build 27.1.37.67 on Windows 10.

I apologize if this shows up more than once, but I tried editing the original post and can't find it now -- another software glitch.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Klhansen  It's NOT a bug.  There's nothing in the software that's causing this.
    As stated multiple times above, it DATA CORRUPTION.  The fix is also stated above.

• Klhansen
    Klhansen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    @NotACPA
    Not very helpful. How about a link to the solution?
    That might actually be helpful.
    If you're talking about validating the data file, that's been done multiple times. and the error STILL shows up. [Removed-Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @Klhansen As you state in your own message:You've found the other discussions re: the $92 million error. 
    As I've previously stated, it's NOT A BUG ... there's nothing in the software that's causing this.  Rather, it's data corruption, and severe corruption at that.
    Because there is NO bug, there's nothing that Q can do to remedy this.
    And, what "link to a solution"do you want me to provide ... since there's NO BUG!

• Klhansen
    Klhansen Member ✭✭✭
    @NotACPA
    So what is someone supposed to do?
    It sure sounds like a bug to me if one transaction, as I found, blows up the net worth report.
    And if verify and repair doesn't fix corrupted data what good is it?
    If someone was upset by my response that contained mild "profanity" and was deleted, I apologize, but I'm a bit frustrated with your responses and the fact that there doesn't seem to be anyone that can help with this apparently common problem.
This discussion has been closed.