Custom "Income vs. Expenses" graph color, or the old color scheme (1 merged vote)

NTPanaccio
NTPanaccio Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
Quicken Support asked me to post this here for the developers. Please either go back to the old green and red color scheme for the "Income vs. Expenses" graph, or allow us to customize this particular color scheme ourselves in the Quicken subscription software. The current color scheme of baby puke green and 'go see a doctor' yellow is atrocious, and I've seen multiple threads over the years asking for this change. It's a simple fix, so please, make it happen.
31 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Couldn't agree more with NTPanaccio. The puke green and yellow ARE atrocious, and I can't understand why a software "upgrade" would result in this particular chart being called out for a change. The \Preferences\Colors\Graph and Chart Colors Theme settings don't seem to do anything (at least with this particular graph). PLEASE don't make us suffer through the puke green and yellow for too long!
  • B Chomowitz
    B Chomowitz Member ✭✭
    I just upgraded from Quicken 2017 Premier to a Quicken Premier 2020 Subscription and the graph colors have changed in a few graphs to an ugly Orange and Brown(?) from Green and Red (logically correct). Two specific graphs are Income vs Expenses and the Investment Performance Graph.

I tried to customize the colors to get the Green/Red back, but it had no effect on the Income and Expense and Investment Performance graphs.

Is there a way to get Green and Red colors back? If not, it would be greatly appreciated if Quicken does something to allow users to get back to where we were (in Quicken 2017 for example).
  • Amen to this thread!!! Talk about baby diaper colors!!! Oh my goodness!

I've tried resetting colors and it removed the obnoxious orange across the header but please give me back my basic Red / Green colors for my Income vs. Expense graph and the nice green bars back on my Portfolio Value vs. Cost Basis chart!

When I worked for Intuit supporting Quicken over a decade ago, this would have been called out in alpha and beta testing... C'Mon Quicken! Get your act together!

Chris
    Quicken user since 1992
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    YES - I agree colors are awful. You can reset your graph colors in Reports > Preferences > Colors and it will reset most (but not all) of the graphs. The worst offender is the Income/Expense graph. ITS AWFUL. Must be a coding error as other graphs seems to change colors when you customize graph colors. Just adding to he thread so Quicken sees this and fixes the issue!!!!! PLEASE....the yellow and brown is horrible.

There is a secondary problem in customizing graphs - that is it hangs when saving any changes after customizing. Every time I try to customize anything in a graph, when I exit, Quicken hangs and the main quicken screen is grayed out. Nothing is left open yet it's still grayed out and I have to use Task Manager to end the task. Quite a pain. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    It would be nice if they would give us three options to customize the colors in the graphs >
    Old Default
    New Default
    Customize
    I personally think the new default is awful and want our old colors back.
  • gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    I just went subscription and discovered the horrible colors on the Bills and Income graph. Did this get resolved so I can go back to green? I'm also annoyed that the dropdown is limited to income or transfer; I add way more bills. I really do not like software upgrades!!
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    @gregnugget greg I agree. Colors are awful. Most of the graphs you can reset the colors however for the income graph you can’t. Terrible colors. Maybe with enough complaints they will give us an option to change colors on income graph.
  • Scotty
    Scotty Member ✭✭
    I just upgraded from Q17P, and the graphs colors are 🤮
  • What's the point of letting me set custom colors if the graphs are not going to use the new colors?????
  • mycardtwo
    mycardtwo Member ✭✭
    I judy upgraded from Q17 Premier to Q20 Premier. On my Main screen both the Income vs. Expense and Portfolio Value vs. Cost Basis now have baby poop bar graph instead of the former green and red. I can't see any options to change this. VERY displeased. Quicken programmers - fix this please!
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    [removed - duplicate comment]
  • mycardtwo
    mycardtwo Member ✭✭
    Update to my post on Mar 26. I dicovered that I could alter the color of Portfolio Value vs. Cost Basis by using custom colors. I modified the very first default color in Quicken's color preferences (which was gold) to something that looks reasonably like the Green in Q17: Hue 74, Sat 255, Lum 104, R 38, G 214, B 7. Pic is attached. This had no effect on the Income vs. Expense graph, however.
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    Yes - I was able to do the same thing with several graphs (changing colors) but could not adjust the Income vs Expense graph. This stinks (no pun intended since the current colors look a lot like something stinky).
  • Scotty
    Scotty Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    > @mycardtwo said:
    > Update to my post on Mar 26. I dicovered that I could alter the color of Portfolio Value vs. Cost Basis by using custom colors. I modified the very first default color in Quicken's color preferences (which was gold) to something that looks reasonably like the Green in Q17: Hue 74, Sat 255, Lum 104, R 38, G 214, B 7. Pic is attached. This had no effect on the Income vs. Expense graph, however.

Thanks for posting. I opened up Q17 and saved a screenshot of the Value vs Cost Basis graph. I then sampled and wrote down the hue, sat, lum and R, G, B for the 13 colors shown. My investment graphs now look much better.

[removed link/attached image]
  • > @llepore52 said:

I agree, the new color scheme is horrendous, particularly for the Income/Expense Graph. What were they thinking?!? And I had to use Task Manager to quit Quicken after attempting to customize the colors as you described as well.
  • kcbroach
    kcbroach Member ✭✭
    That new color setup for the Income vs Expense is horrible.
  • After finally been shoved into the "Subscription" model of Quicken I've found out just like the rest of you that every time I open the program I'm greeted with the god-awful graph of despicable colors and no way to change them. The support guys work from home? Please get on it and allow a change. It would be greatly appreciated by all. 3 months now since the first post.
    Thanks in advance!
  • enikon
    enikon Member ✭✭
    Jeez! First, they force you to change to a subscription model. I know that is a trend in the software world, but it is a horrible trend. And THEN, after I have no choice but to subscribe, I am greeted on the first screen with a graph that rocks a poop color and a puke color. WTF?
  • enikon
    enikon Member ✭✭
    From Quicken support: "It’s not a bug. We haven’t received negative feedback in significant amounts according to my search in our ticketing system. "

so it appears we all need to complain directly.

Chat can be found on this page:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-install-quicken-cd-if-i-do-not-have-cddvd-drive
  • enikon
    enikon Member ✭✭
    Is anyone from Quicken reading these messages? Any plans to let us change these awful colors on the Income vs Expense report?
  • flower8330
    flower8330 Member
    Where do you complain to ask for this to change? It's awful and not intuitive. On first glance, is orange bad or is brown bad? It was obvious with red and green.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    Please add my vote to this thread for being able to have different colors on this chart. Current color is horrible! This thread has been here a LONG time with apparently no response from Quicken. I shouldn't be hard at all to make the colors match the green/red standard. Are they simply ignoring this request?
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    This makes me wonder whether Quicken even looks at suggestions from the community. I'm an old fart, and even I think the solution to making this chart green and red as it was originally would be a simple edit to the program.
    So ... if anyone at Quicken actually gives a rat's [profanity removed] about your paying customer base, PLEASE get this change into the next update!
  • norbert007
    norbert007 Member ✭✭
    We have reported this request for the past 2 years and Quicken does NOT care or does NOT read our comments! This is such a simple task and yet they regurlarly sent us emails on how great are the new updates!!!!
  • This really needs to get fixed. Can't believe it's been 2 or 3 years. Red=expense, green=income. Don't reinvent the wheel here folks! Or at least allow us to customize the bar graphs back to a logical color scheme if Quicken is going to push these disgusting color schemes. I got my money back after the upgrade due to the hideous unchangeable colors of the income/expense graph, and I told them I will not upgrade until this gets fixed. That was over 2 years ago, and guess what? I am still rocking Quicken 2015 Deluxe. Quicken are you listening? Might be time to find a different money software... Been using Quicken since '95 btw...
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    I think they are just ignoring this entire thread. :/ You can change every color EXCEPT the Income/Expense graph. No on in support appends to this or even acknowledges they have read it even though they asked the original person who called them to post the issue. Might be better to start a new thread. I can't believe this minor change can't be implemented but if there is a major reason it can't be implemented it would be nice for Quicken to tell us. it's very frustrating.
  • Found a fix that's ghetto certified. Use the windows sniping tool to capture the graph, Then drop it into paint and change the color of the bars.
  • llepore52
    llepore52 Member ✭✭
    @Wrennjamen can you give us a little more information on how to do that? Once you get it into the paint and change the colors,how do you get it back into quicken?
  • Kevin Jarrett
    Kevin Jarrett Member ✭✭✭

lol I started this thread (now since closed: Income & Expenses graph colors changed from Green/Red to Orange/Yellow, can't change back) back in 2018…still an issue TODAY, in 2023.

And I just got my "update" to the "new" Classic Quicken! Yay! New logo. SO EXCITING!

Come ON, Quicken? Seriously? You can't FIX this issue?

SMH.