Why do my transaction splits keep disappearing?!

I've seen that there have been other posts about this, but there doesn't seem to be a resolution and then the posts are closed. I've been a Quicken user for a long time, but this is extremely frustrating and I'm ready to walk away. Someone please help.

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @JNickels

Thank you for providing additional details, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

First, If you haven't already and open Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem. There have been ongoing issues with splits details being removed upon syncing. This report will help contribute to the research of these issues.

Do you use the mobile or web app at all? If not, can you confirm if the option to sync to the mobile/ web is on?

To confirm, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle. 

Can you also navigate to the One Step Update settings and confirm is sync to the cloud is selected there?

If either of these options is enabled please disable them and see if this resolves the issue. If this does resolve the issue, it's possible that you may need to move forward without syncing to the cloud or mobile app until the issue has been corrected.

I hope this helps to clarify.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @JNickels

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If you wouldn't mind could get get some more details on what exactly is going on. Do the transactions disappear after opening the program or when you try updating the accounts? Is there any sort of trend what transactions are having issues or is it at random? Has this been a more recent issue or is there a specific patch this has been happening? 

Once we're able to get some more details we'll be able to see what we're able to try. Let us know once you get the chance!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• JNickels
    JNickels Member
    I'm running Quicken 2020, R31.8, Build 27.1.31.8 -- at least that's what I'm running today. Full disclosure, I did just install an update before I posted this, so I was probably running an earlier version when I experienced these problems. I do run updates whenever they are available. I've had this problem recurring randomly for about 2 to 3 months now.

Anyway, here's what happens. I open Quicken and some or all of my previously entered split transactions are no longer split, but are just one amount to one category. For example, I have my paycheck set to enter gross pay, with line items for tax, pretax adjustments, and post tax adjustments. After the error occurs, the paycheck is no longer split and just defaults to Net Pay.

Another example, my car payment is no longer split between interest expense and a transfer to my loan principal (and at the same time, the next payment due rolls backwards one month, as if Quicken no longer recognizes that I've made the current month payment already).

Another example, a simple split expense transaction puts the whole amount to just one of the categories from the original split transaction (so a $200 cash withdrawal that I originally split $100 to groceries and $100 to entertainment just reverts to $200 to groceries).

When the error happens, sometimes it does it to every split transaction I've ever made, sometime it only does it to some of the more recent ones, seemingly at random.

To be honest, I don't know if it happens right when I open Quicken or after I run a One Step Update. I usually do one thing right after the other (open it and then immediately run One Step Update). I'll pay more attention next time.

Hopefully this gives you enough detail to work with.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @JNickels

Thank you for providing additional details, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

First, If you haven't already and open Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem. There have been ongoing issues with splits details being removed upon syncing. This report will help contribute to the research of these issues.

Do you use the mobile or web app at all? If not, can you confirm if the option to sync to the mobile/ web is on?

To confirm, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle. 

Can you also navigate to the One Step Update settings and confirm is sync to the cloud is selected there?

If either of these options is enabled please disable them and see if this resolves the issue. If this does resolve the issue, it's possible that you may need to move forward without syncing to the cloud or mobile app until the issue has been corrected.

I hope this helps to clarify.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • When i sync my cloud transactions Quicken reverts my split-category transactions to single-category transactions. It even does this on my mortgage payment transactions. I has gotten worse with most recent release. Yesterday I repaired all the incorrect split transactions and today Quicken has reversed my fixes from yesterday. It is maddening! Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • One Step Update with the recently added sync to cloud feature clobbered a mortgage payment transaction that was already entered into the register in my desktop Quicken Windows data file. This was a Bank of America transaction.

The original split transaction (entered into the register by a scheduled payment) was replaced by an uncategorized transaction. The split for Mortgage Interest and the split transfer to the Escrow account were lost. The register for the mortgage liability account was left with an orphan transfer from the B of A checking account that was not in the B of A account itself.

A categorized transaction with or without splits should not be overwritten by an uncategorized downloaded transaction.

This is very frustrating. I turned off sync to cloud in my desktop Quicken and deleted Quicken Mobile from my iPhone.
  • It might also be helpful to turn off "Automatically categorize transactions" in Preferences -> Downloaded transactions.
  • quick25
    quick25 Member ✭✭
    I am having this issue also. I have split transactions going back to 1999 (the year I started using Quicken) that have been reduced to a single category. I am furious with Quicken for causing this!
    None of the "fixes" listed above work, as my preferences were already set as stated.
  • mlh86
    mlh86 Member
    Is there any real pending fix for this issue? I've stopped using mobile, disabled cloud sync, but the issue continues to occur (I'm a subscription user - so using the most current Win version). Many of these posts indicate data file corruption is occurring. So, any idea when this will really be fixed and how bad of shape our data files will be in by that time?
  • quick25
    quick25 Member ✭✭
    I'm now seeing that Quicken not only did this for my and my wife's bi-monthly salary (deleted federal, state, SS and Medicare splits), but it removed split transactions for all my mortgage payments (mortgage interest, principal, and escrow). Quicken - I'm not sure how you can correct this, but changing and deleting over 20 years of meticulously entered information is unbelievable. This is ridiculous.
    Kind of weird though that payments to a loan account that only show as a single and now unsplit amount in a checking account don't match the amount in the loan account, and the original split amounts shows correctly and unchanged in the loan account. The split transfer transactions now seem to be completely disassociated with each other. Unfortunately I've completely lost the Mortgage Interest amount. Seems like a really bad "update" occurred here.
  • quick25
    quick25 Member ✭✭
    Okay, the issue is Quicken completely broke the links between transfer accounts. If I go back to one of the original transfer transactions and change the value to the transfer account, nothing changes in the transfer account. To fix this, it seems like I would have to enter a brand new split transaction for every affected transaction and then delete the original transaction. Again - just unbelievable. These updates need to be more thoroughly tested before they're released.
This discussion has been closed.