Rollover Budget Workaround

Options
Hey all, I know Quicken for Mac has yet to implement rollover budget functionality which is a critical feature for me. However I’m considering trying the Mac version because of all the bugs I’ve experienced with cloud syncing on the windows side.

Has anyone found any potential workaround functionality that would allow me to track rollover type budgets in the Mac software?

Best Answer

• JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The minimal basically-useless budget in Quicken Mac does not do any kind of useful rollover of unspent (or overspent) funds from month-to-month in the budget screen as you have found. The one useful part I use is the first column that shows running totals from the start of the year to the current month. This first column DOES appear to add up all the budgeted monthly amounts and the spent monthly amounts so that first section is technically doing a rollover from month-to-month, but loses the rollover year-to-year. However, this over/under has the full budget amount for the month, not proportionally by the date through the month so it is helpful but not like the To Date in the Windows Quicken.

I get around the lack of yearly rollover by taking the end of year figures and using them to increase or decrease my January monthly budget for each category. I then set the other 11 months to the actual monthly budget for that category. That works as a faked rollover but is a minor pain to do manually ever year.
    -Jay

Answers

• JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The minimal basically-useless budget in Quicken Mac does not do any kind of useful rollover of unspent (or overspent) funds from month-to-month in the budget screen as you have found. The one useful part I use is the first column that shows running totals from the start of the year to the current month. This first column DOES appear to add up all the budgeted monthly amounts and the spent monthly amounts so that first section is technically doing a rollover from month-to-month, but loses the rollover year-to-year. However, this over/under has the full budget amount for the month, not proportionally by the date through the month so it is helpful but not like the To Date in the Windows Quicken.

I get around the lack of yearly rollover by taking the end of year figures and using them to increase or decrease my January monthly budget for each category. I then set the other 11 months to the actual monthly budget for that category. That works as a faked rollover but is a minor pain to do manually ever year.
    -Jay
  • chrisolson91
    chrisolson91 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Awesome, that is exactly what I needed to know! Obviously not ideal but maybe it will get me by until they fully implement this
This discussion has been closed.