Reminders not correct

I admit that I don't know what is going on. I have a lot of cash accounts set up which go missing replaced with "unspecified account" after an unknown period of time. It keeps the dollar amounts correct. I am also using the mobile quicken app which I update almost daily (in case that has something to do with it.) I don't understand why these accounts keep changing? I have attached a screenshot so you can see what I am faced with on a much larger scale.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    This harkens back to the "envelopes with cash in them" method of budgeting.

It is your choice how you want to set up Quicken, but Accounts are supposed to correspond to your bank and credit card accounts. Generally you would have many fewer than your screenshot shows.

Quicken uses Categories to track different types of income and expenses - insurance, gas, groceries, vacations, home repairs, etc. You can assign one or more Categories to each income or expense transaction. It appears you are using Accounts for this.

You can use Quicken's budgeting features to plan and track spending in each of these categories.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Truman100
    Truman100 Member ✭✭
    :s I think you are saying that it is MY choices that is causing the problem. I don't agree as it was working fine for me for over a year and then 6 or so months ago something changed. I don't know if it was an update or what. Some of my transactions still work. I am trying now to not use the Quicken Mobile cloud update to see if the problem lies therein.
  • Truman100
    Truman100 Member ✭✭
    I am pretty familiar with Quicken, I have been using it since the 1980s. Starting about 2008 I started using the system where I use cash accounts to keep track of individual portions of a bank account (as was suggested to me by a member of the Quicken Community at that time) it has worked great until sometime after the separation of Quicken from Intuit. About a year ago this started happening with the reminders. Attachment #1 shows a screen shot of a portion of how Quicken changed my reminders and attachment #2 shows what it should be.
    I first thought it was the Mobile Quicken that was altering things, but I think I have ruled that out. I am not sure what the next area I should try to work with, maybe One Step Update to see if I don't use that and it won't alter my reminders. I hate to update each account singely but I just don't know what ese to do.
  • Rasm
    Rasm Member
    This is occurring with more than the "cash with envelopes". It is also happening to me with regular accounts. Two accounts for which I use "Bill and Income Reminders" started changing to "unspecified accounts" last year. One is my monthly income (RMD) from my IRA and the other account is a monthly payment to my home equity line (HELOC). I correct them and then weeks later they have changed to unspec acct. in Bill and Inc Rem. Quicken, please fix this!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    "Unspecified Account" is Quicken's way of saying that the account has been deleted for some reason.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Truman100
    Truman100 Member ✭✭
    I just noticed this morning that it changed the accounts to "unspecified account" in a transaction that I completed and saved yesterday that was not a reminder, but an entry in my Credit Card Account. If this is happening to a Credit card account that was already entered and saved, I am concerned that this could be a bigger problem than I thought>
  • Truman100
    Truman100 Member ✭✭
    :'( You say this is answered, but it most certainly has not been. There is something going on in your program that is continually changing my splits to "unspecified account" this is happening mainly with my reminders but now I noticed that it even did this with a split in my credit card account that was already saved. PLEASE FIX THIS
  • Truman100
    Truman100 Member ✭✭
    :s I am repeating this as a new question because it is not getting answered and fixed.

:'( You say this is answered, but it most certainly has not been. There is something going on in your program that is continually changing my splits to "unspecified account" this is happening mainly with my reminders but now I noticed that it even did this with a split in my credit card account that was already saved. PLEASE FIX THIS

I have attached screenshots of part of the transaction in reminders.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    Truman100 said:
    :'( You say this is answered, but it most certainly has not been. 
    The forum marks thread "answered" just when someone replies.  It neither suggests that is an "accepted answer" (which is what you marking an answer with "yes" accepted does) or imply anything about something being changed in Quicken to fix a given problem.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. As general troubleshooting I would recommend validate and repair.  Also if you are syncing to Mobile/Web, turn it off sync has caused lots of similar problems.

What's more I would look for threads about "losing splits".  I have seen several of them of late started, but haven't followed them so I don't know if they are the problem you are describing or not.  I believe they might center around using sync to Mobile/Web, but I'm not sure.  These days I avoid any questions that have to do with problems with "syncing" because there isn't anything I can add to it as another user, and I would never use it for anything other than testing out something for another person's problems.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.