Autocategorization of downloaded transactions stopped working... any way to fix? (Q Mac)

Using mac os version. most recent download of transactions no longer categorizes automatically. How can I fix this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Your first thing to check would be going to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services. If the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" isn't checked, that's your culprit. Check it and you should see a change.

If that is already checked, then we'll need more information to to help. Are you using the latest version of Quicken (6.1.1), and if so, we're you using the modern Quicken Mac prior to the latest upgrade, or have you moved from Windows or the legacy Quicken Mac 2007? Are the transactions coming in "uncategorized" or with wrong categories. Have you recently made significant changes in your category list, such as deleting categories you don't think you need? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • fsg1949
    fsg1949 Member
    The box is checked correctly I’m using the latest version of quicken for Mac OS with all updates applied. All working fine until last download when all the transactions came in as “uncategorized”. I have made no changes to anything... just ran a download as I usually do.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @fsg1949

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community although, I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

Is this issue occurring with every account that you have or with specific accounts? If this only happening on some accounts, can you please provide the name of the financial institution associated with these accounts?

May I also ask that you choose an account that is not being categorized and choose Settings and provide the connection type being used on these accounts.

Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • fsg1949
    fsg1949 Member
    It is happening on all my accounts. Last successful download with categorization was 1/27. I left it a couple of weeks until I did the next download and then all transactions from 1/28 on came in as uncategorized. My connection type is "direct connect" on those accounts.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @fsg1949

Thank you for the response and the additional information. I would next recommend creating a test file.

To create a test file, please go to File > New > Start From Scratch.

Once in the test file please add the account in question and let us know if you also do not receive any categorization in this test file.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • fsg1949
    fsg1949 Member
    Thanks for your help Tyka... I tried the test account. Transactions downloaded and categorized correctly. What is the next step?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @fsg1949

Thanks for letting us know. I'm wondering here if we may be able to fix the connection by resetting it. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Next we'll want to add the account like it's new. To do this we can go across the top to accounts > new > (account type). Once you've done this goa head and sign into your FI. Next you'll have a screen that will let you relink every account to your existing ones so you aren't creating new accounts.

Once you've done this see if we're able to get the categorization looking better. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
    Hello @fsg1949,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community and tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

Since the transactions downloaded and categorized correctly in the test file, next, what I suggest you try is to export and import the data from your current data file into a new data file to see if the same issue occurs in the new file after the data successfully imports. Doing this copies your data into a new file without affecting your original file. Should this not work, then you can always switch back to the original file after.

If you would like to try this, please, follow the steps below.
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Transfer File (QXF)...
    4. Save the exported file somewhere you can easily locate it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Navigate back to File
    6. New...
    7. Start from Scratch
    8. Follow the prompts until it takes you to the new and empty data file
    9. Close the Add Checking Account pop-up
    10. Navigate back to File
    11. Import
    12. Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)... (even if you are on Mac)
    13. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    14. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful
    Once that is done, you should see that all your banking accounts (Checking, savings, money markets, credit cards, etc) were added to this new data file.

Please note
     that you will need to re-establish online connections in the new file for any accounts you have set up for automatic downloads. 

There are also a few features that will not be imported to the new file as these features do not export nor import. Please, refer to this support article under the section titled "More about QXF files" for more detailed information regarding what .QXF files do and/or do not export/import.

If this resolves the issue for you, then you can rename and move forward using this new file. Below are steps to rename the new file from the name Quicken will auto-assign to it.
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Rename
    If you need to switch back to your original file, please follow the steps below.
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Open Recent
    3. Select the original data file name
    4. Click Open
    Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• fsg1949
    fsg1949 Member
    I tried Anja's solution... success! Thanks very much for the help!!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @fsg1949 Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that worked for you. :)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.