Securities Comparison Mismatch

Options
Sometimes when I'm downloading a banking update I get the following error screen for one of my investment accounts.

This has been going on since the shares in Grocery Outlet Holding Corp (GO) were purchased but it does not happen every update... maybe 1 out of 10 updates.

I don't own GE (GE) stock in this account. I do own Grocery Outlet Holding Corp (GO).

Obviously Quicken is not using the stock ticker to compare my holdings in Quicken with my holdings at my brokerage. The details in my Security Detail View also appear to be correct.

Why do I get this message from Quicken? and...
How do I get it to go away?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken matches data for a security received from a financial institution to a security in the Quicken file using the CUSIP ID field provided by the financial institution.  When we import data for a security with a CUSIP ID that is not matched, we are prompted to match the security to an existing security that is not matched to an online security or to create a new security.  We may clear this linkage by unchecking Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window and the next time Quicken attempts to match their CUDIP IDs, we should be prompted to select the appropriate Quicken security again.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    In my case I have owned GE stock in the past and there is history of it in Quicken; however, I currently do not own any of it. If I unmatch it with the online security will that also affect my historical records where GE was the correct security?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pilotbum said:
    In my case I have owned GE stock in the past and there is history of it in Quicken; however, I currently do not own any of it. If I unmatch it with the online security will that also affect my historical records where GE was the correct security?
    No.  It will only clear the CUSIP ID value associated with the GE security that your financial institution is using for Grocery Outlet Holding Corp.

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Got it.

So before I corrected it the GO Security Details "Matched with online security" box was unchecked and greyed out. The GE's was checked. I Unchecked GE and did a download and received no error message. I then went back and checked the two securities and GE was still unchecked and GO's was now checked. So it appears to have been remedied.

For my own understanding, HAD I still owned some GE stock in addition to my GO stock I assume GE would have rechecked itself or if it was unsure it would have asked for clarification on which security to match to my Quicken portfolio holdings. Is that correct?

After unchecking the "Matched with online security" box on GE it never added GE's CUSIP number after subsequent updates even though there is trade history in Quicken for GE. All the while there are other securities in my list that I've never traded that have their CUSIP numbers attached. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this ID in quicken and exactly how Quicken uses it...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pilotbum said:
    Got it.

So before I corrected it the GO Security Details "Matched with online security" box was unchecked and greyed out. The GE's was checked. I Unchecked GE and did a download and received no error message. I then went back and checked the two securities and GE was still unchecked and GO's was now checked. So it appears to have been remedied.

For my own understanding, HAD I still owned some GE stock in addition to my GO stock I assume GE would have rechecked itself or if it was unsure it would have asked for clarification on which security to match to my Quicken portfolio holdings. Is that correct?
    As to whether Quicken will correctly assign an unmatched CUSIP ID provided by the financial institution to an existing unmatched Quicken security automatically or not depends on whether the financial institution chooses to also provide the ticker symbol and whether the same ticker symbol is already assigned to an unmatched Quicken security.