Issues after installing latest update

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Giving up on Quicken Cloud Sync.

Comments

• Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    I had sync turned off because of all the problems it was causing. However, Release 27.1.31.8 apparently turned it back on without my knowledge, and now my data is hosed: Phantom balances, changed recurring transactions & who knows what else.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Thomas Wilson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent pre-update backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Windows and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I'm also on QWin R31.8. Twice last month I got a balance adjustment on my mortgage to take the account to $0. Each time I restored from backup. Today I noticed that it happened again during a one step update when the Cloud Sync was being executed "to improve" the data or whatever it said. I've turned Cloud Sync off. But, it also looks like I have some problems with my investment accounts as they no longer match the online balances.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • bigby65@
    bigby65@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    [Removed-Rant]
  • Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello @Thomas Wilson,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > Do you have a recent pre-update backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Windows and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.
    >
    > Let us know how it goes!

I did restore a backup from about 2 weeks prior & after a couple of hours of manual adjustments was able to get my file back to where it needed to be.
    I'm unable to determine when the cloud backup was turned back on, but I can't imagine how I could have done it myself by accident.
    One of the problems the cloud sync caused involved transactions with reminders, where the transaction , instead of being entered in advance using the reminder, was just matched to the downloaded transaction, and the reminder subsequently skipped. In these cases, the sync restored the reminder as an entered, and therefore duplicate, transaction, and in some instances showed it as reconciled.
    I find myself wondering if others have this problem, and whether they might not be noticing it. My data file is large (154 MB), so I'm not sure if that could be a factor.
    I have in the past tried resetting the cloud data and also deleting the cloud account, but the problem persisted, and so I just gave up on the cloud. Let me know if there's any more info I can provide.
    Thanks!
  • Quicken Anja
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the additional information.

When a backup file is restored, it restores the data into a new (separate) file from the original data file (unless you chose the option to "overwrite", though we don't always recommend doing that). So, even if your original data file currently has Cloud Sync turned off; if the Cloud Sync settings were still on in the original file at the time the backup file was saved, then that backup would restore with the same Cloud Sync settings it was originally saved under.

When you restored the backup, did you check to make sure that sync was turned off after restoring? 

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    I turned off Cloud Sync in my original file, renamed that file, then restored a backup & gave it the original file's name, then turned off Cloud Sync again; the backup file had had it turned on.
    Is turning on Cloud Sync something that happened with an update? I didn't notice it was on until the late January update.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible that the update may have triggered the Cloud Sync to be turned back on if you were migrated to the new QCS aggregation during the update, though unfortunately, we do not have a way to verify whether or not that is what happened.

Next time a new update is released, I suggest keeping an out for it and after the update installation completes, go into your Cloud Sync preferences and check whether or not the Cloud Sync is turned back on or remains off.

-Quicken Anja

• Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, will do.
    I'd like to make a suggestion that, until Cloud Sync can be fixed, any unsolicited activation be disabled.
  • annetteward5
    annetteward5 Member ✭✭
    I'm currently on R31.12 and first noticed the mortgage balance issue a couple of months ago - saw a "balance adjustment" for the balance on 11/4/2020 and Quicken now shows a credit balance in the account, even though I get updates from the bank DAILY. I know it's not really $0 so I haven't invested much energy trying to figure it out. But today, for some reason, I decided to dig a little - and found this thread. I don't have mobile/cloudsync set up at all (issues in the past, too many accounts so turned it off) - and would be very surprised if that was a potential cause - but I saw an earlier comment in this thread regarding investment accounts also showing different balances. I'm also seeing that and Quicken shows those balances a little "lower" than they really are. I might be okay with that - extra money later is always a nice surprise, right? Otherwise, I am starting to become somewhat concerned, after reading posts here.
This discussion has been closed.