error pasting numbers from excel

hello
i get an error beep and zero result when i paste numbers copied from an excel spreadsheet. anyone else getting this? as a workaround i paste the number into a description field, copy it again - then paste into the number field and it works ok - is there a fix for this issue? anyone know what is causing quicken to reject the number from excel? thanks! brad

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bradwww

I tried to replicate what you are seeing, but cannot. I even copied a field that included an equation - and it successfully posted the resulting number, no beep either.  Also, I didn't expect this result but when I copied a cell that contained a number with 4 decimal places in to an dollar amount field - it rounded it to two decimal places.

Is there anything special about what you are trying to copy, or are you trying to coping data across a number of fields?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• bradwww
    bradwww Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    how odd - happens every time - has never NOT happened. are you pasting numbers into the far right numeric field of the split page? nothing at all unusual about the numbers - ctrl-c in excel and ctrl-v into quicken spilt window lines beeps and result is zero. thanks for helping.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @bradwww

Okay.  So I note that in your original post there was nothing about "using a split" transaction.  But, when I retried doing a cut & paste to the "amount" field of a SPLIT transaction - bingo; I get the same result as you.

I don't know why this happens.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• bradwww
    bradwww Member ✭✭
    yes it had not occurred to me that split transactions would have a different behavior than others. i have never pasted from Excel to a non-split transaction field. thanks. so how do i move forward - can we escalate this to tech support?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I usually do most of my copy/paste from pdf files which works consistently. So if you have a lot to copy, generating a pdf from excel is a work around.  If it is an actual number, I've had success copying from the data entry line rather than the actual cell (highlighting the cell then copying the number from the entry line above).  If it is an equation, that doesn't work so I generally go the pdf route.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• bradwww
    bradwww Member ✭✭
    thanks for the tips but those work-arounds are effectively the same as the one i am currently using - i just want to report the bug so it can be fixed. thanks.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    THe way to report problems is through the Help menu in Quicken.  If you have a suggestion for improvement you can use the community "new idea" feature under Ask a Question.  If it gets enough tractiion from users, it may be considered for future releases.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• bradwww
    bradwww Member ✭✭
    did that today thanks - not a feature request though - a bug fix. thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would suggest: Help -> Report a problem
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/