How do I show the balance on my register?

My checking register does not show a running balance. How do I I get the register balance to show?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    In Quicken Mac, to display a column which isn't currently visible, click the Columns icon on the bottom menu bar; then click the columns name (in this case, Balance).

If the Balance column heading is there, but there the numbers in the column are in gray italic text and make little sense, it's because your register isn't sorted in date order. Balance can only correctly be shown if the register is in date order. To do that, click the heading of the Date column to sort by date. (Click it a second time to sort in reverse order.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Two other thoughts... the Balance column is on by default. It's possible it's just scrolled off the right side of the screen. Make sure to try to scroll to the right to see if it's there.

Also, make sure you're looking at the actual checking account register, not one of the group registers such as Cash or Banking. Group registers do not and cannot show a balance column. If you see Cash or Banking in the sidebar, but not Checking (or whatever you named your checking account), hover your cursor over Cash or Banking and click the > symbol that appears to expand it. Alternatively, click the (...) icon at the top and select Expand All Sidebar Groups.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Wayne102
    Wayne102 Member ✭✭✭
    In my Windows application there is "settings cog icon" in the upper right corner of any register. Click on that icon. Then from the drop down menu select, "Register columns". Then from that drop down menu make sure there is a check mark beside the "Balance" option. Also, confirm that your register columns are sized to fit your screen.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    In Quicken Mac, to display a column which isn't currently visible, click the Columns icon on the bottom menu bar; then click the columns name (in this case, Balance).

If the Balance column heading is there, but there the numbers in the column are in gray italic text and make little sense, it's because your register isn't sorted in date order. Balance can only correctly be shown if the register is in date order. To do that, click the heading of the Date column to sort by date. (Click it a second time to sort in reverse order.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Two other thoughts... the Balance column is on by default. It's possible it's just scrolled off the right side of the screen. Make sure to try to scroll to the right to see if it's there.

Also, make sure you're looking at the actual checking account register, not one of the group registers such as Cash or Banking. Group registers do not and cannot show a balance column. If you see Cash or Banking in the sidebar, but not Checking (or whatever you named your checking account), hover your cursor over Cash or Banking and click the > symbol that appears to expand it. Alternatively, click the (...) icon at the top and select Expand All Sidebar Groups.
  • hds2020-2!
    hds2020-2! Member ✭✭
    Thank You
  • RickO
    @hds2020-2!  Out of curiosity, which issue was preventing you from seeing the running balance?
  • hds2020-2!
    hds2020-2! Member ✭✭
    Good Question, I did some of the things you suggested , but I think it was the "status" I needed to check. But I may have been in "banking" rather than "checking" and did not have the entries listed by date. But something worked and I am very thankful for you help.

view - columns - status and balance

I used an old quicken for Windows for years, then changed to a Mac. Then quicken cut me off if I didn't pay the annual membership which is ok. But the new version is so complicated, I have a hard time getting it all to work. Now I am trying to do a report. I have chosen a "Category Summary by Tag" since I have several tags and I would like to separate Income from Expense in several columns. I show my income as an (positive) inflow, but the report listed it as an expense. Very frustrating. I input manually but Quicken seems to have a mind of its own. I previously used a "Cash Flow" report but that doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks Again, Herb
This discussion has been closed.