how do I see a list of the default categories?

johnsacher
johnsacher Member ✭✭
Over the years I've accumulated hundreds of categories and want to drastically clean it up, starting by putting as many transactions as possible into the default categories. But I can't seem to find a list of just the default categories, anyone got one?

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Create a new data file.  It will have the default categories.
    But note that it might not be what you expect since I think was back in 2010 that they changed the default categories to be more "Mint like".

In general longer names than the old ones.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can also see them in your existing file by going to the Category List, clicking Options at the bottom left, then Manage Categories.
    IMHO, the default categories are terrible in the way they are arranged in top-level and sub-categories. I don't see any reason to use them if you already have categories you like. Certainly cleaning up a category mess is a good thing to do periodically, but reverting to the defaults isn't necessarily the way to go.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Create a new data file.  It will have the default categories.
    But note that it might not be what you expect since I think was back in 2010 that they changed the default categories to be more "Mint like".

In general longer names than the old ones.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can also see them in your existing file by going to the Category List, clicking Options at the bottom left, then Manage Categories.
    IMHO, the default categories are terrible in the way they are arranged in top-level and sub-categories. I don't see any reason to use them if you already have categories you like. Certainly cleaning up a category mess is a good thing to do periodically, but reverting to the defaults isn't necessarily the way to go.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• johnsacher
    johnsacher Member ✭✭
    Thank you, and thanks for the advice on using/not using the default categories!
  • johnsacher
    johnsacher Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Create a new data file.  It will have the default categories.
    > But note that it might not be what you expect since I think was back in 2010 that they changed the default categories to be more "Mint like".
    >
    > In general longer names than the old ones.

This is an elegant/simple solutions. Is there some way I can make a printout other than taking screenshots of the categories in the new data file?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is a Print button at the bottom of the Category list window, or just type Ctrl+P.
    Signature:
  • JimJ
    JimJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    [Removed]
This discussion has been closed.