When I choose a time frame in registers, the total deposits (or payments) it gives wrong amount

Arthur Sterbcow
Arthur Sterbcow Member ✭✭
I'm using the most recent Quicken Rental version and the same problem exists on different computers. I have super validated the file and the error continues on all accounts. When using the account register for an account I want to see in the register how much in total deposits or payments were made for a specific time period. The total for the period is incorrect. Also when I change from ascending to descending dates the transactions for the total are DIFFERENT from the first wrong value and still wrong. I reported this before to Quicken support and promised a fix would be forthcoming. that was many many months ago.
HELP!
Thanx!

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    What tool are you using to choose the time frame?  How are you viewing the balance for same timeframe?

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• As an example, in every account register:
    I choose the filter for a time period (last 30 days, last month etc.)
    I choose "deposits" (If I choose payments the same problem occurs)
    I choose all transactions
    It gives me the wrong total at the bottom
    When I change the date from ascending to descending it gives me yet a different number and it is still wrong!
  • I should have also said that the bottom of the register then shows the NUMBER of transactions correctly but the wrong amount.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I don't use filters often but I did try to replicate the problem.  For my credit accounts, it seems to work ok; the number immediately to the right of # Transactions:  is the sum of the filtered transactions. For checking/savings accounts I have a problem getting filters to display correctly, probably because I have future reminders showing and they are not excluded.
    Maybe you could add a screens shot of your problem in case other users have seen a similar problem.

NOTE: I went back and tried the sort by date and did have an incorrect sum when the filtered register sorted to descending dates. However, sorting back to assending dates gave the correct sum.   

Quicken user since 1995

• If you manually subtract the beginning balance from the ending balance you can get the correct balance. Neither amount shown by ascending date nor descending date is correct. When I do a manual subtraction for the actual number it differs from both.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not following your discussion about balance.  I see the correct sum (red boxes) displayed when the sort is ascending but it is incorrect when re-sorted to decending:

Quicken user since 1995

• Arthur Sterbcow
    edited February 2021
    Notice on the bottom of the two Quicken generated pdf screenshots the different amounts do not display but they do on your computer. If you manually subtract the beginning balance from the ending balance you get the real number.

Unfortunately, when you print the register in Quicken the amounts on the bottom do not show on the pdf's.

If you perform the actual search on your computer you will see what I mean.
  • Jrich75. Do the exact same search but also filter for "payments" or "deposits" and not "any type."

Try to figure out how much in deposits you have made the last 60 days OR the total payments made for the last 60 days.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at the actual register.  I'm not sure that printing the transactions provides a correct total.  Did you notice that you have a different number of transactions in the two print records.  

Quicken user since 1995

• Even if you go back and do a custom time search for a month last year the errors still appear. Any pending bill payments are obviously not causing the errors.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Arthur Sterbcow,

The two pdf's you attached don't actually have the same transactions - one (the ascending register) has 9 transactions while the other (the descending register) only has 8 transactions and is missing the 1/27 entry for 11,742.74

Was that intentional?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Jrich75. Do the exact same search but also filter for "payments" or "deposits" and not "any type."

Try to figure out how much in deposits you have made the last 60 days OR the total payments made for the last 60 days.
    Deposits & Payments seem to work if sorted by ascending dates.  I tried both 60 and 90 days.  When switched to decending, the number is incorrect.  
    Have you tried using a report to retireve similar information?  Filters have always been a headache for me, mostly because they persist and it's easy to forget to reset them when viewing the register.

Quicken user since 1995

• Arthur Sterbcow
    edited February 2021
    Frankx, you found another bug! When using the Quicken print to pdf it omitted a transaction. It does show up on the computer screen I am trying to print. You found a problem I did not know I had!!

Back to the initial problem:
    I initially thought the amount being shown in descending order was correct but it is not. On the descending search -manually subtract the beginning balance from the ending balance. You will that it is different. At least it is different on my computers running Quicken.
  • Resetting the filters does not fix the problems.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    As I said, I don't use filters but I vaguely remember this filter issue being brought up sometime last year.  It may be an acknowledge problem waiting for a fix or just another area where Quicken doesn't work as expected.  Anyway, I'd suggest doing a report to retrieve the information you are after.  Here's a simple Banking Transaction report for the same credit account and time period I showed previously.

Quicken user since 1995

• If I only had one banking account that would be fine. However, I have multiple accounts for many properties and the Banking Transaction report adds them all together. Then I would have to manually separate each account and do a manual addition for each one. Not time effective.

I don't see anywhere to be able to do a report on just a single account and sort it accordingly.

The Account register is the logical place to get the information. I will wait until tomorrow when Support is open and see if they have come up with a solution.

Thanx!
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I have multiple accounts for many properties and the Banking Transaction report adds them all together. Then I would have to manually separate each account and do a manual addition for each one. Not time effective.

I don't see anywhere to be able to do a report on just a single account and sort it accordingly.

It is possible to customize the BT report to display a single account.  Click on the Gear to the upper right.  You can then save a separately named report for each specific account of interest.  After that, just call it up when you need it.  You can even sort or subtotal by category (or somthing else) if that would be helpful.  

Quicken user since 1995

• Thanks. It is kind of clunky and a pain to change on the fly though.

The registers used to sort accurately and easily until a few Quicken updates back.
    Thanks for the help though. Much appreciated!!
This discussion has been closed.