Recently downgraded to Starter - all my previous transactions have disappeared

stjlclan
stjlclan Member
I recently downgraded to Starter and all my previous transactions have disappeared. I do have a backup but it does not seem to want to play nice. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    What were those old transactions - checking, savings - or Investments ?
    were they ALL gone, or only certain types, certain Accounts, or ??
    [EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• stjlclan
    stjlclan Member
    Checking account transactions. All of them are gone. I have had Quicken since 2010. Disappointed in the new "subscription" way of using it as I only use it to keep up my checkbook and ease of finding transactions when needed.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @stjlclan,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We will need more information in order to better assist you further.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Also, could you please elaborate and tell us what exactly happens when attempting to restore the backup? Are you receiving any specific error code(s) and/or message(s) when trying to restore that you could provide us with? Are you missing transactions for one account in particular, or some, or all accounts? Last, what are the account types that are missing transactions (e.g.: Checking, Savings, Credit Card, etc)?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• stjlclan
    stjlclan Member
    I am using the Starter Subscription for Windows. I also changed computers so the backup is from a different computer. I think I have found a work around but not sure I will always be able to use it.
    I want to be able to merge the old backup into the new system but it does not let me. I did restore the backup and it is in the old Deluxe format but I am not sure how much longer I can get away with it. I just want to be able to get the old transactions to merge with the Starter system.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    stjlclan said:
    I am using the Starter Subscription for Windows.
    You need to answer the questions asked - Version and Release -
    as we are not looking over your shoulder..... what exactly is not working ?
    The Quicken backup file and the overall Quicken QDF file for all versions is the exact same - only the features enabled in each program are different.  So, you can take the QDF file, or any of the backups, and use it with any of your installed Quicken systems.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• stjlclan
    stjlclan Member
    I thought I had answered. I don't know what else you want. I pay a yearly subscription for Windows. I recently downgraded from Deluxe to Starter since I do not need all the extra stuff that Deluxe offers and it's too expensive.
    Since I cannot answer your questions adequately, I am not going to worry about it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I read this discussion correctly, you installed Starter Edition on a new computer and created a new Quicken data file from scratch.
    To retain and continue using your data from the old computer, the correct process would have been to backup the file on the old computer and to restore it to the new computer where you could have kept on using it as if nothing had happened (except, of course, for account types no longer supported by the limited Starter Edition.)
    It's next to impossible to merge two data files into one without creating a major mess. So I advise against trying it.
    To have your old data available and easily accessible, as I said, backup and restore your data file from the old to the new computer. Make sure you name this file something different from the new file you already created. You can switch between files using the File Menu, if you need to review some old data.
  • stjlclan
    stjlclan Member
    Thank you.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    stjlclan said:   I pay a yearly subscription
    Just a couple of other points....
    If you do..... Help --> About Quicken
    it will display the RELEASE, which is most helpful to know.
    Also - since you have now downgraded to the Starter version -
    If you ever decide to NOT renew your subscription,
    the Quicken Starter software will lose any and all downloading capability,
    AND your Quicken data file becomes READ-ONLY,
    AND there is a large "renew" banner plastered on your Quicken screen.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.