How to consolidate same company stock held in 4 separate investment accounts?

Options
When I originally set up our 4 investment accounts I entered the same stock with a different name so performance would be followed separately in each account. Now all these years later I would like to consolidate all the individual holding of the stock so I can follow the % holding vs total combined portfolio. When I try to consolidate U S Bancorp and US Bank and USBancorp to USB so I can easily determine % of holding to total portfolio. The system tells me the USB symbol is already used. Please help

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Here are two different approaches:
    • You may replace the security in every transaction with the chosen security.
    • You may use the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) wizard.
    The first approach essentially eliminates the distinct securities.  The second approach converts the holdings of the distinct securities into one security as of a specific date.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Presumably you are trying to edit the security details of (for example) "U S Bancorp" to make the name match one of the others (like USB).  You cannot do that.  As @Sherlock indicated, you need to manually edit each transaction to change the security name in that transaction, or you need to have (for example) "USB" acquire "U S Bancorp", "US Bank", and "USBancorp" in each applicable account (Corporate Acquisition).  

The first option allows you to subsequently delete the now unused securities.  The second option requires those securities to remain in your file (generally speaking).  

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Here are two different approaches:
    • You may replace the security in every transaction with the chosen security.
    • You may use the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) wizard.
    The first approach essentially eliminates the distinct securities.  The second approach converts the holdings of the distinct securities into one security as of a specific date.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Presumably you are trying to edit the security details of (for example) "U S Bancorp" to make the name match one of the others (like USB).  You cannot do that.  As @Sherlock indicated, you need to manually edit each transaction to change the security name in that transaction, or you need to have (for example) "USB" acquire "U S Bancorp", "US Bank", and "USBancorp" in each applicable account (Corporate Acquisition).  

The first option allows you to subsequently delete the now unused securities.  The second option requires those securities to remain in your file (generally speaking).