categories

"Lost" categories! I cannot display categories except for "required" or "unused" although they ae present when assigning them to items. I spent over an hour with Quicken rep and could not resolve.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    This is probably an easy fix. In the Categories window, click the gear icon at the bottom. Is "Show Only Unused Categories" checked? If so, uncheck it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Pro am
    Pro am Member
    categories
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    This is probably an easy fix. In the Categories window, click the gear icon at the bottom. Is "Show Only Unused Categories" checked? If so, uncheck it.
  • Pro am
    Pro am Member
    WOW! thanks so much! I am a long time Quicken user so had my own list of categories/subcategories for many years. Was faced with adjusting to Quicken's list when I moved to subscriber, so I had been merging/transferring items and ...oops!
    So many, many thanks
  • RickO
    Nothing prevents you from using your own categories and subcategories and deleting Quicken's built-in ones (except the Required ones). That's what I do.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The only thing to know is that if you download banking and/or credit card transactions, and you take advantage of Quicken's ability to automatically categorize those transactions, you need to use Quicken's categories; the auto-categorization it uses is tied to Quicken's categories, and there's no way to "re-map" them. Of course, you can create QuickFill rules to insure your Payees map to your categories, so it doesn't matter if you delete Quicken's default categories.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.