Why Did Quicken H&B upload all my data to Quicken Cloud even though I said not to?

Options
Ovcharka_1
Ovcharka_1 Member ✭✭
This is very very disturbing.
I tried an account update(s) today and did NOT check the three boxes at the bottom: Cloud;Bill; Market stuff

Yet it immediately started to upload to their cloud ... telling me this is a one time upload and may take some minutes.

I hastily used task manager to kill the app. The next time I started Quicken and tried to update my accounts, the Evil Quicken continued from where it left off.

So I assume Quicken sells our data? Provides it to governments? Do they make money from that?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Every Quicken file has a Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) even if we have never enabled Sync or identified accounts to sync to the Quicken cloud.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud
  • Ovcharka_1
    Ovcharka_1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Sherlock. Thank you for the link. It might be informative .....

"If you would like to turn off the Cloud sync from your One Step Update, simply uncheck the box next to Sync to Quicken Cloud in the One Step Update Settings screen."

However, THAT is exactly what I did. And despite that, and two times, dear Quicken H&B took it upon itself to purloin my data to their cloud.

You may however dispel my fears. I'll wait and see.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Sherlock. Thank you for the link. It might be informative .....

"If you would like to turn off the Cloud sync from your One Step Update, simply uncheck the box next to Sync to Quicken Cloud in the One Step Update Settings screen."

However, THAT is exactly what I did. And despite that, and two times, dear Quicken H&B took it upon itself to purloin my data to their cloud.

You may however dispel my fears. I'll wait and see.
    That is just from One Step Update.  

Quicken will still maintain a cloud account associated with the file identifier within the Quicken file.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Quicken cloud account stores all kinds of data depending on the services you use, not just transactions.  Given that it is used for features like Zillow, Credit Score, Online Bills/Bill Pay... there isn’t any way to run Quicken Subscription without the Quicken cloud account.

The trick here is to know what each service is going to be storing there and that isn’t always that obvious.  Yes, everyone realizes that if the turn on Sync to Mobile/Web that their transactions, attachments and budgets that they sync are up there.  But like I said above that isn’t the extent of what is stored there.

Given that this just now happening I will make an educated guess and what you are seeing is the syncing of transactions because one or more of your accounts are using Express Web Connect.  Quicken Inc is in the process of changing the “connection method” from what they are calling FDS to QCS (Quicken Cloud Services), which is rolling out to people over time.

QCS is using the exact same sync system that “Sync to Mobile/Web” uses, but the difference is how it is turned on (linking an account to Express Web Connect oppose to flipping on the Sync switch), and in the fact that the transactions aren’t visible to Mobile/Web unless of course you turn it on (of course they are still in the cloud account data set).  

FDS:
    Quicken > Intuit servers > financial insitution’s web site

QCS:
    Quicken > QCS > Intuit servers > financial institution’s web site

The main reason given for the change is so that Quicken Inc is in the loop and can know about problems sooner and get them fixed.

And no Quicken Inc or Intuit (Quicken inc pays for this aggregation service) don’t sell you or give out your information it is just collecting the data they need to provide the service you have signed up for Express Web Connect.

Here is some more information on QCS.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.