ARGH! Downloads Are Once More Projecting Forward by One Month

ntrainer
ntrainer Member ✭✭
I thought I had this problem solved in December, here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884004/online-balance-on-bank-account-projects-forward-by-a-month#latest

But it's happening again -- now with both Capital One's checking and savings accounts! This is once more just a problem with Capital One and not any other accounts. To restate the issue: when I reconcile my bank account and select "Use Online Balance," Quicken automatically chooses to reconcile a month in the future, instead of reconciling as of today's date. I have therefore been selecting "Use Statement Balance," using today's date. I'm attaching two screen shots. The first appears just before I press "Next" to reconcile, when everything looks in order, and the second shows the result, when the date shifts forward a month. I've tried doing what I did last time -- unconnecting and reconnecting these accounts -- but it hasn't solved the problem.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @ntrainer

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I do recall you having the issue but I'm still not sure what's causing it. I was taking a look to see any similarities to see what might be causing it and the only thing I noticed is that it seems to happen fairly late/early into the month. You already tried to deactivate/reactivate as well so that didn't seem to fix it. I have an idea is maybe try seeing if you're able to resync your local clock on your mac to see if that might work. I'll leave an article down below on how to do so.

https://www.macinstruct.com/tutorials/synchronize-your-macs-clock-with-a-time-server/

Let us know if you're able to find out anything. If not we can try seeing what we're able to find out next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Well... I tried resynching my clock but that didn't solve the issue, sad to say. Any other ideas would be welcome!
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

Thanks for letting us know. I'm wondering here if we'd have a similar issue in a test file. That would let us isolate the issue a bit more and see if it has to do with the connection or the file. You can do this by going across the top to file > new. Continue the process of setting up the file. You can select to have mobile and web off as it'll let us connect a bit fast.

Once you've done that sign into your account again and download your capital one account. Once you've done so try to reconcile the account and see if you have a similar issue.

Once you do this let us know if you have the same issue. From there we'll look to isolate the issue more.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    I have gone ahead and created a blank (test) file as you suggested and, no, there's no problem reconciling in the test file.

Next? :smiley:
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

Thanks for letting me know! Next thing I can think of here is to try a backup to see if we have the same issue again. You should be able to do this by going across the top to file > restore from backup. I would attempt to choose your most recent backup and you can name it as a test file. Check to see if we have the same issue again.

Once you have the chance let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Interesting. Using the most recent file from 2/10 (it's now 2/14), the problem was solved. What's next? What does this mean?
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

That is interesting. I would test for a day or two to make sure that it's still working after a couple of days. If it is I would either rename the test as my primary file or restore another backup and overwrite my primary file. Either should work as they should have the same information. Let us know if that works for you after a couple of days!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    This still worked after a couple of days, but now the problem has re-occurred. I'm in troubleshooting mode, and what happened is: I used the "Use Statement Balance" yesterday because the latest transactions from Capital One had not downloaded yet, though they were "visible" online when I checked my account. Today, when I try to use the "Use Online Balance" function, the date skips forward a month during reconciliation.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

thanks for letting me know. I'm wondering if we can try combining out previous steps then that worked to see if that could be it.

So we'll want to load a backup from the previous step then see if we're able to deactivate the accounts.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

From there let's try also adding them as new. You can do this by going across the top to account > new then continuing to sign in to your FI.

Once you've done this it might take a couple of days to find out again.

I do apologize again for not having a more concrete solution but it's not one I've seen previously. Once you do get a chance let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    So.... are you suggesting I entirely wipe out my many years of banking records to start these accounts entirely new? I'll do that for troubleshooting purposes but obviously that isn't something I'd like to have as a solution.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

Sorry I forgot to add in the part where even when you're adding in an account like it's a new account you're still able to link it to an existing account as long as there is no active connection on the account. Since you have them deactivated you should be able to have them relinked to the existing account so you won't lose any data.

Let me know if this makes more sense.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    OK, what I've done is "Add New Account" for both Savings and Checking, and in that process used the drop-down menu to "Link" these to my old accounts. Just to be clear, here's the screen shot of that "Link" process:
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

That is correct. Everything should of stayed the same other than maybe a couple of new transactions if they hadn't been downloaded already. Let us know if we still have the same issue!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Yesterday since the downloaded balance didn't match what I could "see" online I used the statement balance and now.... the problem is back this morning. When I use the online balance the date projects forward a month. :s
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hello @ntrainer

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to be able to review this issue further.

Thank you,
     -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Sorry to say that this morning I spent about an hour and a half working with Quicken Care to no avail. No one asked me to do a screen share; the person I spoke with on the phone was entirely useless so I asked for a supervisor and then spent about 20 minutes on hold before telling him, "Goodbye." Instead I worked with someone using the "Chat" function but after all sorts of troubleshooting she determined this was just a problem in my data that couldn't be resolved and the only solution was to start a new data file.

We tried exporting my data and then importing it to a new file; the problem re-occurred. Only when working off of an entirely clean, new file and creating my Capital One accounts from scratch did I not have a problem.

I suppose I'm letting you know here so that you take a note of my issue and see if others are having similar problems. I'm pretty unwilling to lose 6 years of data just because of this small bug, but it is an annoying bug, to be sure. The solution shouldn't involve just losing all of that data.... perhaps there's a backroom fix?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @ntrainer,

Thank you for providing an update on your interaction with Quicken Support, though I apologize for the negative experience.

If you don't mind, I would like to take the opportunity to look further into your interaction with Quicken Support.

Were you by chance given a ticket number for your interaction that you can provide us with here? Also, were you able to speak to a supervisor at the time of the interaction as you requested?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Thanks for trying to help, Anja. I didn't get a ticket number for my interaction, unfortunately. I called your main Quicken help line at (650) 250-1900 around 11:00 a.m. and I never was able to reach a supervisor. As I described my issue, the customer service representative just gave me answers like, "I see." He never offered anything prescriptive, but left large pauses after I spoke. So after quite a few interactions like this I asked to speak to a supervisor.... and was placed on hold for around 10 minutes. In the meantime I went online to your "Chat" function and started working with someone there. The person in the "Chat" area was obviously knowledgeable -- or at least was giving me some troubleshooting of SOME kind. So when the person on the phone came back to tell me he was still trying to get ahold of a supervisor but everyone was busy, I told him to forget it and hung up the phone.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ntrainer
    I think the root of the difficulty here is switching reconciliation from Online Balance to Statement Balance, and then back to Online Balance.

I use only Statement Balance reconciliation for all my Quicken accounts. However, I once recently, during troubleshooting in a separate test data file, did attempt a reconciliation to Online Balance (because I did not have a new statement at the time). I observed the same behavior your are reporting, but did not dig any deeper as this was just some testing and I saw no reason to be switching back and forth between the two reconciliation methods.

Quicken makes an assumption that reconciliations to Statement Balance will be for a one-month period, matching the common statement period. Thus the ending balance date (Statement Ending Date) is set one month after the most recent reconciliation statement ending date when initiating a new reconciliation. This works well if always reconciling to Statement Balance.

When one switches from Online Balance reconciliation to Statement Balance, the Statement Ending Date will be pushed out one month as it should for a monthly statement. But when switching back to Online Balance, Quicken still has the Statement Ending Date set one month out. Quicken apparently does not reset to the current date, or Online Balance date. This might be an oversight by the developers - perhaps even a misbehavior of the Statement Balance logic - one would have to ask them.

Have you looked at the Reconciliation History? What dates do you see that correspond to your reconciliations via the two methods. Can you delete, and perhaps re-reconcile, one or more of the sessions to clear up the confusion?

My suggestion, assuming you can clear up the issues, is that you reconcile using only one method and not switch back and forth. I don't think the Quicken Developers anticipated this use case.

I hope these ramblings are useful.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    WOW. This is incredibly helpful, Ihossus. If you are right, this does, indeed, seem like an oversight on the part of the developers! I just tried to remove reconciliations from the past month and the problem is still persisting, sadly. So it doesn't look like that will help me in the short term. In the long term, I truly hope someone is paying attention to this thread so that they can update the program to remove this issue.
This discussion has been closed.