Why don't the names of reports print when you print reports? (Q Mac)

Options
c.ha
c.ha Member
Why don't the names of reports print when you print reports?

Recent discussion with customer "service"

Thanks for chatting.
Agent joined conversation

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:20am

Thank you for contacting Quicken Chat Support my name is Alfred. I will be happy to help you today. May I please have your name, phone number and e-mail address associated with Quicken?
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:21am

Why don’t report names print with reports?
Christopher. [Removed-Privacy]
Why don’t report names print with reports?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:23am

Yes let me inform the name will not be printed just the information that was how the program was created.
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:24am

No. It was not created that way. It did print them before

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:24am

Yes but that is how the program works now .
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:25am

Why? That is profoundly stupid

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:25am

If you like you can go to HELP>REPORT A PROBLEM that way you can report it to the developer department.
First you don’t need to use that type of language keep it profesional…
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:26am

Am I supposed to hand print the names on the reports?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:26am

Well yes that is how the program is working you can print the report.
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:28am

Can you recommend a accounting software that does print names of reports on reports?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:29am

I will be more than happy to can you go to HELP>REPORT A PROBLEM that way you can report it to the developer department.
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:29am

If I follow your recommendation, will they fix the problem today?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:30am

No they will not fix it today…
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:30am

How long?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:31am

Well the estimate time I don’t have it.
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:32am

Can I revert to the last version that did work? This problem seems to have come with the most recent update.

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:33am

No we don’t have the link to revert the previous update but you like you can try this steps
You can download the program and turn off the internet and then install Quicken whiteout the internet on .
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:34am

Can you recommend a accounting software that does print names of reports on reports?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:35am

Well to be honest with you I don’t have one.
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:36am

Can I post this chat to social media?

AgentFeb 27, 2021, 10:36am

If you like you can proceed its your decision.
Just remember that am customer service am not a software engineer.
MeFeb 27, 2021, 10:37am

Clearly

New messages

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You received incorrect information. Report names do print in Quicken Mac, but not for the few remaining "old" reports.

If the report you are using is under Reports > Other Reports, or has a plain grey icon in the Reports screen, you are using one of the old reports. (These reports print the report title, too, but it's a small footer at the bottom of each page.) Most of the reports in Quicken now use the modern reports engine, and these print the report title big and bold at the top of the report.

EDITING TO ADD: I just went and read your whole transcript with the support representative. I'm just a fellow Quicken user, and I certainly have my times of frustration with Quicken policies and decisions, but I'd offer a few friendly suggestions when dealing with support representatives -- from Quicken or other companies -- that can lead to getting more help and possibly better outcomes.

Support reps for Quicken (or any company) don't always know the right answer. And some are better/more knowledgeable than others. But you diminish your chances of getting the help you're seeking if you ask arrogant questions or insult the person trying to help you. Why ask if a software bug will be fixed the same day you report it? You know that's not going to happen. Calling the program "profoundly stupid" (rather than "very disappointing" or "hard to understand" or "frustrating") makes the representative less inclined to do more to help you.

Remember that support representatives, for Quicken or any company, are only support representatives -- they are not the software engineers, product managers, company executives; they are not the designers or the decision makers. Treating them with respect will sometimes get them to go the extra mile to help you. Most support people who are on the phone or chat for 8 hours a day, day after day, would much prefer to end a call thinking "yea! I helped that person" instead of "what a jerk". Even if you determine they can't help you further, you can still be polite with the representative: "Look, I'm super frustrated with this issue. I know it's not an issue you're responsible for, so I'm not angry with you, I'm just very disappointed. Can I ask you to pass my frustration with this issue up the chain to company management?"

You'd be surprised how often showing courtesy/respect for a support person can lead to them offering additional suggestions or doing more research which might end up being helpful. I sometimes have to remind myself of this when I'm on the phone with a support person and can feel there frustration in my voice and words, and I've been pleasantly surprised to get better outcomes at times when I adjust my attitude towards the person trying to help me. Just my 2¢…
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • c.ha
    c.ha Member
    Options
    Jacobs,
    Thank you for your interest and advice.
    For the record, I did not call the tech profoundly stupid. Clearly I was referring to the fact that the title of a report does not print with the report. Or at least, as you have pointed out, at the top of the report as it appears on the screen when one is creating and editing a report.
    I think it is also fair to say that Alfred was the first to introduce arrogance into the chat by saying that the program was 'created that way'.
    Back to my point. I was not being arrogant or condescending. The fact that report titles or names do not print with the report at the top in a large and declarative font is profoundly stupid. It is contrary to a convention that is universal and timeless.
    What written document from financial to reportage to fiction is not presented that way? At the top of my bank statement it has the name of the bank and then the word Statement. On every one of my quarterly investment statements there is a title at the top clearly stating which investment it is a statement for. Every book on my bookshelf has the name of the book prominently featured on the cover of the book and so on and so on.
    These reports that I am putting together now are for my Accountants for use in the preparation of my 2020 income tax return.
    As the owner of a small income property, I usually present him with at least 6 separate reports that I have created and saved. As they currently present, this year, without writing the name of the report on each one, as a confusing lists of numbers etc. with little to differentiate one from the other.
    I too am in a service business. If a client were to point out something that I or my company of 26 years was doing that made no sense at all, was contrary to well established convention and made my clients experience unnecessarily difficult, I would, as a professional and conscientious person, agree with them for starters. I would then make it a priority to correct the situation as quickly as possible. I would do that. Not tell them something akin to it was created that way, and then give them instructions on how they could go about getting the problem fixed!
    Yes I am frustrated with Quicken. Every year I pay for the update hoping that it will correct the problems of the existing version. What I usually discover is that some of those issues have been resolve, and some have not. And unfortunately, most often new ones have been introduced.
    Now before you tell me to look elsewhere for a personal accounting program, I have, and will continue to do so as long as Quicken continues on their trajectory of many years now.
    Lastly I would ask if you also shot off an email to Alfred?
    At the very least he should be aware of the error of his advice.
    Christopher
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @c.ha  If you really want to use the old reports, then highlight the report title in the lower left corner. It's not optimal, but it's there.

But as I suggested, if you simply use the "new" reports, you'll have the titles large, bold and at the top of your reports. If not just for this reason, you probably ought to do this because eventually the "old" reports will be removed from the program, although I have no idea when this will happen or if they will automatically convert them to the new reports. Also, there have been some problems noted bu users with data missing from the old Category Summary report, and I strongly encourage not using that report. Chances are you can recreate your transaction reports using the new reports engine in relatively little time. If there's something specific about a report that you can't figure out how to do in the new reports, post a question here. Otherwise, you should be able to solve your problem in just a few minutes.

(I really don't think the developers are going to invest time in making fixes to the old reports, since they're slated for removal, but you could also post in Report a Problem about the elimination of the large report title; if they agree it's a bug, and it has an easy fix, they might fix it in a future update.)

Christopher, as I noted, I'm a fellow Quicken user. I have no way of contacting any specific chat support representative.

We all use Quicken differently. My experience is clearly different than yours; I have found that the new features introduced over the past several years have made the program work much better to fit my needs. Reports is one big such area, and until they introduced the new reports engine in 2017, I didn't even move off the old Quicken 2007. The reports have gotten a lot more capable since then, with the ability to specify rows and columns, the ability to selectively include transfers for cash flow purposes, and more control over expanding/collapsing details. The addition of QuickFill rules similarly filled one of the big gaps for me from the old Quicken 2007 -- and I'm happy that it's even better than they way Quicken 2007 did it. I'm happy that they recently added reconciliation tracking, to help deal with any future problems due to inadvertent changes in older data. Other newer features aren't things I use, but are important to other people. And yes, I still have a list of things I hope to see them change/add to the program in the future! The progress is far slower than any of us would like, but I do like the forward trajectory. Obviously that's a different point of view than yours, and I'm not trying to suggest that you're wrong; just noting that it's not as uniformly negative as it apparently is for you. If Quicken is full of frustration for you, and if you can find other software which better meets your needs, then you've found your path forward. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.