Quicken is not calculating balance properly

If you look at the jpeg you can see the payment amount from a revolving line of credit to pay off the fixed portion, but the balance is not correct. I have deleted it and re-entered it but it still does not work. I must admit I kind of hack away at Quicken, but this has never happened before.

Comments

• suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    And I left it for a while and it did calculate it. Weird.
  • suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    Something very weird is going on with my Quicken. Could this be because my internet keeps cutting out? I had a similar problem yesterday.
  • Petra B
    Petra B Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem. All of a sudden my account balance in Quicken is $5,000 less than the actual balance. This happened sometime after 2/8/2021, and I can't find any reason for it. The balance has changed from way in the past. Did I make a mistake or did Quicken somehow cause this?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @suzasarnecki

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I'm wondering if maybe your most recent transaction might not have been saved? In any case if you do see something similar to what you experienced and we'll take another look at it.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    I closed the window and reopened it and it was fine. But I'd like to know why.
  • suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    Petra B - I have been entering items from a Line of Credit account and messed mine up which started the initial problem that needed correcting. I have to remember that I can not change Transfers as it messes up the original account. Might be some 'correction' you made to another account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, when posting a JPG (or any other account snapshot) it's VERY helpful to have the column headings included ... rather than making us guess what we're looking at.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Petra B
    Petra B Member ✭✭
    I think that may be what happened to me too. Thanks!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @suzasarnecki  WHAT is that graphic that you posted?  With no column headers, it's nearly impossible to tell what we're looking at.
    And, if it's an account register ... what TYPE of account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    @suzasarnecki  WHAT is that graphic that you posted?  With no column headers, it's nearly impossible to tell what we're looking at.
    And, if it's an account register ... what TYPE of account?
    It took me a bit to see it without any context, but it is clearly wrong.

There is no way you subtract (or add for that matter) $5.00 to 3,772.08 and get 3,472.08.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW @NotACPA Hello All, I have figured out what it is doing but not why. When I add an entry (okay, I'm bad, this is 2019 stuff that I am catching up), it overwrites the next entry but does not change the balance. If I close the account and re-open it, the balance is correct. Unfortunately, it throws me every time.
  • suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Francisco The transaction was saved. I am adding transactions to a an Line of Credit account (that is just set up as a banking account) that has had transactions posted from other banking accounts. So I am inserting new transactions from the LOC account statements. I have figured out that Quicken is writing the transaction that I am entering (and saving) over the next transaction in the account, but not changing the balance. If I close the account and re-open it, the balance is correct. Unfortunately, it throws me every time. I would still like to know why it does this.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using?   US or Canadian version?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    When you are entering old transactions, what register sort order have you set?
    When I was adding old transactions a while ago, I always set the register sort to by Order entered so that the just-entered transaction would remain next to the bottom of the register's new entry line. Made it easier to see which transactions I had just entered, instead of them disappearing into the register in Date sequence.
    However, I knew that a filtered or not-sorted-by-Date register's Running Balance was meaningless. So, when I was done entering transactions, I had to remember to click the Date column header to sort the register in Date sequence again.

• suzasarnecki
    suzasarnecki Member ✭✭
    @UKR Quicken Windows Year 2018, Version R12.8, Build 27.1.12.8, Canadian. Thanks for the tip about order. Excellent way to double check date, instead of trying to remember what year I might have typed in and having to search. I would think that after I had saved the transaction and it was where it belonged, it should not overwrite another transaction and it should show the correct balance.
This discussion has been closed.