Quicken for Linux

Options
I tried to ask this through support and was told to ask here. I had been using Quicken for years going back to Windows 3.1 days and the last version that I owned was back in 2015 I believe. Since then I have jettisoned all my Windows systems and am whole heartedly embraced Linux. I would like to once again have a tool that I could use as a single place to keep track of my finances and figured there must be a Quicken for Linux by now. However, when I started looking I was totally disappointed to find that was not the case. I did some searching and was pointed to GnuCASH but after playing with that I found it to be a pale imitation of what I remember Quicken to be. S. my question is are there any plans to port Quicken to Linux? IMHO, I believe there would be a great market for this since there is nothing out there on Linux that is as good.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You may want to consider using Wine to run Quicken for Windows on Linux.

Note:  KMyMoney is another Linux personal finance program you may want evaluate.
  • Garfield
    Garfield Member ✭✭
    Options
    K, thx... I've tried other tools through Wine and they always seem to be problematic and not work as well as the native Windows version.

I will try the KMyMoney I hadn't heard of that one.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken for Linux?  Check back in about 10 years since that is how long they have been working on the "new" version of Quicken for Mac, so if they started now, 2030 might have something to look at.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Garfield
    Garfield Member ✭✭
    Options
    @splasher, I should be just about ready to retire by then... :D
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To judge the likelihood of them starting how about if we look at the percentage of users using Linux for their desktop is currently slightly under 2% which is slightly under Chrome OS usage.  Even the Mac people that think that think they are ruling the world are at 17%.

It's amazing how when people are using something they believe it everybody else is to.   :)

Quicken users are like that too they think that they're this huge Force that the financial institution have to listen to and in reality they're dropping a bucket for the financial institution users.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By the way by my math the Quicken Mac project has been going on for 13 or 14 years.  Quicken Mac 2007 is the last version before they started the rewrite.  Yeah there was some years where they didn't do anything but that's like that kind of project when you start something really big and you don't get any money back for it for many many years corporations have a problem with that.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might consider CrossOver to run Quicken on Linux.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Garfield
    Garfield Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > You might consider CrossOver to run Quicken on Linux.

Thx, @Greg_the_Geek but it seems ridiculous to purchase a 2nd licensed product to run just one. Running a licensed product under Wine (without extra charge) is already a problem because you are paying for the license product and something could change easily to make in not work under Wine so you end up paying for vapor. But now adding a 2nd licensed product to the mix that could have the same problems as Wine is nuts.

Anyway, does anyone know if support requests will be honored if running under any of these emulators (Wine, CrossOver or whatever else there is out there) or will you be told to repro the problem on a real Windows system?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Garfield said:
    Anyway, does anyone know if support requests will be honored if running under any of these emulators (Wine, CrossOver or whatever else there is out there) or will you be told to repro the problem on a real Windows system?
    I suspect it would be hit or miss depending on the problem and the person you get in support.   As if the problem gets to be a pain for them and you mention CrossOver they certainly can claim that it isn't a supported setup.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.