Missing Split transactions tied to closed account

KMC222
KMC222 Member
Hi all - seems with the latest patch, I am victim to the frequently mentioned issue where split transactions revert to [unspecified account]. I can fix this with the CTRL+SHIFT+S and edit transactions ... EXCEPT where they are tied to closed accounts. For example, my mortgage payment to an old mortgage has this issue - I can't edit the split to point the transaction to the right place, so my old closed mortgage shows a negative balance.

Is there any way to address this? I know I can't reopen the closed accounts to be able to select them in the split window.

Note - I only see this in transactions from 5/1/17 through 12/31/17 and only after the latest quicken patch that did the "sync to cloud" thing.

Thanks...

Best Answer

• KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    Answer ✓
    Actually - I tried a different method, and I can see the split items. This solved my issue - I can salvage the account. Thanks!!!

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @KMC222

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. It is interesting it's only happening a specific timeframe. I'm wondering here if we may be able to fix it by running a validate and repair. I'll leave an article down below and it'll be the fourth step listed.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find. Additionally do you use the mobile/web app at all? If we're still having issues after we'll take a look at that as well,

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    I will try this. I did validate the file, but without the copy operation. I have already corrected all of the transactions I could edit - the ones without split items pointing to closed accounts.
  • KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    I completed the copy and validate operation. It did not correct my issue. My old transactions still show [unspecified account] in the split items, and old paychecks show all blanks when opened in the paycheck tool - even though I am able to edit those split items with CTRL+SHIFT+S.
  • KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    Also, I do not use the mobile or web functions.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

@KMC222

Thanks for the update. Let's try something similar to what you did the first time but this time it will be a super validate instead. To do this you'll want to go across the top to file > File operations > (HOLD CTRL + SHIFT) click validate and repair > select  super validate and repair > ok.

Ideally this should give us a bit of a different result than the first one. Once you get a chance let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    The super validate resulted in the same results as validate does. No additional information in the .txt file that was generated. There are some split errors - but none of the errors detected relate to the missing split line items.
  • KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    Do any quicken admins have any further suggestions for this?
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Have you tried using Find/Replace under the Edit menu?  You may need to play with it to get the transaction(s) to appear but closed accounts can be selected.  Cleared status Contains Uncleared can uncover some hard to get at transactions. 

If you unclear the register entry, it might make the transaction available in Find to use a Replace Category to edit to the closed [account category]
  • KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    Just tried this - I can find the transactions this way, but I can't edit the split items individually. All I can find in the source account (checking) is the mortgage payment. I can't find the individual split items, nor the destination payment (in the closed account, because I can't unclear that end of the transaction).
  • KMC222
    KMC222 Member
    Answer ✓
    Actually - I tried a different method, and I can see the split items. This solved my issue - I can salvage the account. Thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.