How do I purge the upcomimg bills projection and reset it.

DAS
DAS Member ✭✭
One of my accounts that has operated normally until recently has developed an issue that I can not fix. The account register is synced correctly and shows a positive balance on the account - both the online and current balance. However, the same account shows a negative balance (of about 9,500 dollars less that the register and online balance) and then shows this balance becoming even more negative each month when the ONLY upcoming transactions are a single monthly DEPOSIT. I have looked carefully for any ghost upcoming transaction on this account and verified that the monthly deposit upcoming settings are correct. How can the this upcoming bills feature suddenly treat this deposit (in this single account - not in any other account all of which behave normally) as a debit. I have super validated my file. I have reinstalled Quicken but can not find a way to fix this issue

Best Answer

• DAS
    DAS Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have managed to solve the issue by recreating the offending account (actually two accounts had the same issue) but it is not a simple process. For anyone with the same issue or with a need to fix an account issue by deleting the old account and copying transactions into a new account - beware - there are multiple steps to make this work. Briefly, here are the steps.
    1. Deactivate the web synch feature of the old (malfunctioning) account.
    2. Add a new account with a different name.
    3. copy all the entries from the old account register to the new account but do and set up web synch. Note that this will add additional entries in any of your other accounts for all transfers that involve the bad old account. There will be two transfers in each of your other accounts account, one with the old bad account name and one with the new account name so the balances of ALL such accounts will change (even closed accounts).
    4. Delete the old bad account completely. This changes one of the now duplicate transfers in all accounts to "Unspecified account".
    5. Access each of your accounts and search for "Unspecified". The list will contain all the duplicate entries, delete all these entries. This returns the balance to what it should be but reconcile each account to make sure.

Be aware that, if you have a lot of transfers from the bad account at the start of this process (my bad account was my main checking account with nearly two decades of transfers to about 20 different other accounts, many of which were closed) this is not a simple ten minute fix. Interestingly, when you close an account Quicken states that its balance will be set to zero but this seems to be a one-time affair so old closed accounts suddenly have large balances after you complete step 3 above.

Answers

• DAS
    DAS Member ✭✭
    Missed a phrase in the second sentence. The spurious negative balance shows up in upcoming bills and does not match the register amount, which is positive
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I suspect there may be one or more overdue reminders impacting the projected balance.  I suggest you press Ctrl + J, select the All Bills & Deposits tab, left-click on the Due column title (you want the small triangle to the right of Due to point up).  Any Overdue reminders should appear at the top.  Note: Quicken does not project transfers on split entries of bill or income reminders appropriately.
  • DAS
    DAS Member ✭✭
    Sorry, already tired that. Checked it again and there are NO overdue items listed.
  • DAS
    DAS Member ✭✭
    Also, the future entries are auto entered deposits. These have been entered and calculated in Upcoming bills correctly for several years but are now being logged as debits in upcoming bills and credits when they appear in the account register. the auto deposit has not been changed so something else is happening.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    DAS said:
    Also, the future entries are auto entered deposits. These have been entered and calculated in Upcoming bills correctly for several years but are now being logged as debits in upcoming bills and credits when they appear in the account register. the auto deposit has not been changed so something else is happening.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

If the issue persists, I suggest you recreate the account register.  You may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • DAS
    DAS Member ✭✭
    Already tried everything in your first suggested link (including super validation). I also tried the approach you suggested in the second link to recreate the account file. Unfortunately, the account has more than 1000 entries and my first attempt to recreate and copy failed as Quicken froze. I will try it again in the next day or two but my computer is tied up with a big database run present so I will wait until I am able to shut down all other running tasks before doing so.
  • DAS
    DAS Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have managed to solve the issue by recreating the offending account (actually two accounts had the same issue) but it is not a simple process. For anyone with the same issue or with a need to fix an account issue by deleting the old account and copying transactions into a new account - beware - there are multiple steps to make this work. Briefly, here are the steps.
    1. Deactivate the web synch feature of the old (malfunctioning) account.
    2. Add a new account with a different name.
    3. copy all the entries from the old account register to the new account but do and set up web synch. Note that this will add additional entries in any of your other accounts for all transfers that involve the bad old account. There will be two transfers in each of your other accounts account, one with the old bad account name and one with the new account name so the balances of ALL such accounts will change (even closed accounts).
    4. Delete the old bad account completely. This changes one of the now duplicate transfers in all accounts to "Unspecified account".
    5. Access each of your accounts and search for "Unspecified". The list will contain all the duplicate entries, delete all these entries. This returns the balance to what it should be but reconcile each account to make sure.

Be aware that, if you have a lot of transfers from the bad account at the start of this process (my bad account was my main checking account with nearly two decades of transfers to about 20 different other accounts, many of which were closed) this is not a simple ten minute fix. Interestingly, when you close an account Quicken states that its balance will be set to zero but this seems to be a one-time affair so old closed accounts suddenly have large balances after you complete step 3 above.
This discussion has been closed.