Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Activation Code Expired? [edited]

Springlake
Springlake Member
edited March 3 in Before you Buy
I bought a new, unopened, hard copy Quicken Premier to renew my existing Quicken Premier membership for another year. I am told now by Quicken Tech Support that the activation code expired even though it is the same version as being sold now. No where does it say on Quicken Premier's material that there is an expiration period to the activation code. Quicken will not give me an activation code that works.  This is really bad business, and quite shameful. I would not do business with them.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What year version did you buy? Who was the retailer? Activation codes are only good for 2 years.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Springlake
    Springlake Member
    On the cover it says 2019. No where does it say there is an expiration of two years. Tech Support who I called twice and spent a total of 1.5 hrs on the phone with said it is good for 2-3 years. It is an issue of representation. No where does it say on the product jacket, or the activation code paper enclosed that it expires in two years or two years from when!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Activation codes are good for 2 yrs from the date it was printed. Unfortunately it does not show the date on the outside of the box. 

But this only applies to 2019 and later. If you can find a 2018 version (if they still exist), the activation code for that version never expires.
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile

Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Springlake
    Springlake Member
    Exactly my point. Quicken never represents anywhere when the activation code expires so the consumer gets screwed unknowingly. What type of a business ethic is this that Quicken has?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek and @smayer97 I'm curious, how exactly do you know that the activation codes are limited to 2 years.  Yes I know that information has been passed around in this forum. But where did that information come from?

If it isn't presented to the user at the time of purchase, borders on fraud.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Springlake
    Springlake Member
    Would you provide me the name and address at Quicken to whom I should file a consumer complaint about Quicken's consumer practices? This is in addition to the Better Business Bureau.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    We just other Quicken users.
  • Springlake
    Springlake Member
    This is quite definitely consumer fraud. No where on the product packaging does it say the activation code is only good for two years. It was tech support that told me that. They also told me (from their computer)the clock started ticking in March 2018, again with no mention of this on the product packaging.. First they said it was 2-3 years to activate, then changed it to 2 years! I bought the program new, and now Quicken won't honor it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    @Springlake I suggest that you contact Quicken Support, maybe they can do something about it.
    Contact Quicken Support

EDIT.   Sorry jumping between threads, and forgot that you already had contacted them.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Springlake
    Springlake Member
    I bought a brand new, unopened copy of Quicken Premier (that is a one year membership). When I went to use the activation code an error message says activation code expired. I called tech support and they said the activation code expires after two years, yet no where on the Quicken packaging (inside or outside) does it say the activation code expires, or when it expires. So, basically I paid for a Quicken product that I can't use and Quicken's attitude is "nothing we can do." This is plain and simple consumer fraud by Quicken! And, why are they so indifferent to the consumer. I paid for the product. They didn't disclose essential details.
  • Springlake
    Springlake Member
    Here is an important question: How many customers have had the same experience where Quicken does not honor the activation code? I bet there could be hundreds of thousands.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    A word of caution, posting the same complaint multiple times is considered spamming and will get you booted from the forum at the discretion of the moderator.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You never answered my question about which retailer you purchased Quicken from.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Springlake,

Apparently you must have purchased the box online (most likely) or in a retail store - rather than downloading from Quicken, Inc.  So, if the activation code is expired, then your beef is with whomever you bought the box from. I suggest that you contact that party to complain, because there is nothing anyone here can help you with.

Sorry, but it is clearly not Quicken's fault.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Springlake

My name is Sarah and I am the Senior Moderator for the Quicken Community and an official representative of Quicken Support.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback with the community and apologize for the frustration and inconvenience experienced.

I took the liberty of reviewing your contact with Quicken Support and understand that your copy of Quicken was purchased through an unauthorized third-party reseller on eBay.

If the product had been purchased directly from one of our authorized retail sellers, such as Amazon, Staples, Walmart, Office Depot, Costco, Sam's Club​, or Best Buy, support would be able to provide a new activation code.

However, since the product was purchased through a third-party re-seller, the re-seller is wholly responsible for the sale and any refund requests must be made directly to the re-seller via eBay, I apologize.

Each Quicken Activation Code card includes the code expiration date, printed at the bottom of the card, as seen in the below screenshot:

I'd also like to explain one additional point from your call with Quicken Support and clarify that Quicken products which are created for retail sales are made and shipped in advance so that they are available for the stores to display when the product version is launched.

Unfortunately, this means that while the box may state it is Quicken 2019, the code would have been generated in 2018 prior to when the boxes were shipped to their original retail location for sale to the general public.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you again for sharing your feedback with the community.

Sarah
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still the point that is being missed... that the expiration is not printed on the outside of the box... so if someone does get it from an authorized seller, the consumer has no way of knowing anything about expiration.

So there is still an outstanding issue to consider.
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile

Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    smayer97 said:
    There is still the point that is being missed... that the expiration is not printed on the outside of the box... so if someone does get it from an authorized seller, the consumer has no way of knowing anything about expiration.

If the product had been purchased directly from one of our authorized retail sellers, such as Amazon, Staples, Walmart, Office Depot, Costco, Sam's Club​, or Best Buy, support would be able to provide a new activation code.

Hello @smayer97

As mentioned above, if Quicken is purchased from an authorized retail seller, Quicken Support is able to provide a new activation code with proof of purchase, such as a screenshot or copy of the receipt, if the activation code is expired.

Hope this helps to clarify,

Sarah
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:

If someone buys Quicken from an eBay Seller, the User would be out of luck, except going through eBay to resolve it. The eBay Seller could be using Quicken, themselves and used the Activation Code.  It may not be that the Activation Code had expired, but was used.

The CD becomes a brick and Quicken can't be reinstalled from the CD, at all.
    That's why the Seller sold it. Just my opinion.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21364.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Springlake
    Springlake Member
    Sarah, Quicken is not being upfront with the customer and quite deceptive. First, this was a brand new copy, unopened, sealed of Quicken Premier. Second, Sarah (of Quicken) the customer does not have the information you are saying that it must be bought from the places you are NOW saying. Third, the activation code expiration date which you show a screenshot is on the INSIDE SEALED Quicken box and the seller nor the buyer have access to this if it, as it was in my case, unopened, sealed and brand new. You say the seller owes me a refund. No, Quicken does. The seller does not know when the activation code expires as the box was sealed and not opened and that is the only way to know the expiration of the activation code. Quicken should absolutely give me an activation code. This is really shameful screw the customer behavior of Quicken. (You even admit that when it says 2019 on the cover jacket, that the activation code may have been generated in 2018--of course the consumer isn't aware of this, so that they don't even have the two years to activate like you are now claiming they do!). Boils down to lack of full disclosure by Quicken to the consumer: 1)that they activation code has a limited life, and 2)When does the limited term even start -- both these key facts are kept from the consumer until AFTER they buy and open the sealed product packaging!
This discussion has been closed.