Setting up a HELOC as a revolving credit with checks

Hi,

What is the best way to set up a HELOC in quicken as a revolving credit line where you write checks?

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like the account creation process is deciding for you that it should be a loan. If that's the case, you might have better luck first creating the account as an offline HELOC and then setting it up for online services after the account has been created.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit more info needed to help you.
    What Q product are you running, and what BUILD of that product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
    What bank issued this HELOC?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris2
    Chris2 Member ✭✭
    I am using Quicken Premier R31.20 Build 27.1.31.20 and am setting up a HELOC with Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    OK, you're on the current release, and Northrop Grumman FCU is al "Participating Financial Institution" with Q. 
    Northrop Grumman FCU    http://www.norgrumfcu.org    1-800-676-3328    https://themax.ngfcu.us/Login/login.aspx    ACTIVE         BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
    Why doesn't the normal TOOLS, Account List, Add Account and choosing Northrop Grumann work for you?  I don't have an account with them, but using that procedure I was able to get to the Sign-in screen.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris2
    Chris2 Member ✭✭
    I added the account with the normal tools. It identifies it and adds it in, but. It's like a standard loan with a negative balance that is payed off. I use it as a revolveing credit line to pay contractors for home improvements. I write checks, which increases the balance. I don't see how I can identify a check with the way it's implemented. Maybe I should call it a credit card? That might work better?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited March 2021
    A HELOC is indistinguishable from a credit card in Quicken. If you go through the process of creating an offline HELOC, you wind up with a credit card account. One thing you'll be missing is the Check # column in the register. You'll have to use Reference # instead. But you can still write and even print checks from that account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris2
    Chris2 Member ✭✭
    That sounds like what I would like! What I see is a veriable loan under property & debt that looks like every other loan. Just like a mortgage or a car loan. There is no register for entering transactions. Might I have something wrong?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like the account creation process is deciding for you that it should be a loan. If that's the case, you might have better luck first creating the account as an offline HELOC and then setting it up for online services after the account has been created.

• Chris2
    Chris2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks! That worked. I was able to get an account functionality that works. I was not able to link it to the NGFCU account. When trying to set up online services, it found the HELOC, but wouldn't connect it to the one I made. I saw that there is a HELOC selection for account type, but that just made a regular loan account. It's OK. I don't expect a lot of transactions and can work with it manually.
This discussion has been closed.