Lost my investment cost history when transferring shares (remov/add) to a new acct.

Options
Recently, I created a pledged asset line at Schwab. As such to get the direct connection I needed to make a new account (new number) and remove/add shares from one account to the other. I now don't have my historic cost information in the PAL account. All of the cost history is still in the previous account which I still use though. Any way to get that cost history into the PAL account?

Best Answer

• GCL_59
    GCL_59 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for responding that did the trick!

Answers

• bonnettd
    bonnettd Member ✭✭
    Options
    When moving shares from one account to another I don't use the remove/add. I use "XfrShrs" from the account register. This seems to maintain the price history although it makes several entries to do it
    (Quicken Home & Business on a PC)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When moving shares from one account to another, do not rely on the downloads from the brokerage.  If they are already there, backup and then delete them.

Use the Enter Transactions button from the transactions list of the old account and select Shares Transferred between Accounts to transfer applicable securities to the new account.  That will transfer your cost basis and acquisition date information on a by-lot basis to the new account..  
  • GCL_59
    GCL_59 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for responding that did the trick!