Can not close an account

I have a TFSA account that I closed in 2020. Quicken will not let me close account saying there are residual share balance in account. The cash balance is zero and holdings report shows no securities.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Brian175

Thanks for the update. In this case I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps. This will allow us to view it with you and figure out exactly what's happening. I'll leave our support hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A short time ago, Q expanded the share balance field to include more digits.
    SO, you might own a teeny, tiny fractional share that you weren't even aware of.
    Try going back to your last SALE transaction of each security in the account and change them to "Sell All"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    That worked for one of my two accounts. One of my accounts is still showing a security value of $5.53 yet their are no holdings. I went back and sold all on each security transaction. How can I see which security still has this residual value?
  • Quicken Francisco

Hello @Brian175

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. We should be able to find out what's still inside of the account ideally by clicking on the account then going to holdings above the date column. This should show us what we might have a small amount of that's not allowing us to close the account. Once you've found it you should be able to sell what's left of the account so we're able to close the account.

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    There are nob securities showing under holdings. It shows a zero balance.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓
    @Brian175

Thanks for the update. In this case I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps. This will allow us to view it with you and figure out exactly what's happening. I'll leave our support hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT