Message that Capital One needs to reauthorize account, but now can't connect

Options
I have several Capital One and Capital One 360 accounts, and a Capital One credit card. A few days ago, when I did a One Step Update, a message popped up that Capital One needed to reauthorize my accounts. I clicked on the reauthorize button, and it looked like it started the process, but then I got a message that Quicken could not connect with Capital One. It gave me the option to try again, but I got the same message. I've tried resetting/deactivating the accounts, but I get the same message.

Any thoughts on how to correct?

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Mike8 Thank you for following up and providing an update, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password 
    Once that is done, try reactivating through Add Account again to see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Mike8
    Mike8 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Mike8 Thank you for following up and providing an update, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    Once that is done, try reactivating through Add Account again to see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!
    Thanks so much.  That solved my problem.  It did give me a bit of a scare though.  After I signed out, every time I opened Quicken it immediately crashed.  I had to go to to the backed up data file and restore it, and I was then able to link my Capital One accounts, and now everything is operating as it should.  Really appreciate your help.  

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @Mike8,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Also, aside from the "Quicken could not connect with Capital One" error message you received, did there happen to be a specific error code associated with the message that you could provide us with here, please? And have you tried updating each account individually through "Update Now" (located in the Actions-gear icon on the top-right of the account register) to see whether or not you receive the same error?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Mike8
    Mike8 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello @Mike8,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?* Help > About Quicken
    >
    > Also, aside from the "Quicken could not connect with Capital One" error message you received, did there happen to be a specific error code associated with the message that you could provide us with here, please? And have you tried updating each account individually through "Update Now" (located in the Actions-gear icon on the top-right of the account register) to see whether or not you receive the same error?
    >
    > Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.
    Thanks for your help.

I'm using Quicken Premier 2020 Version R31.20

There was an error code the first couple of times I tried it (error code C-901), but now I don't get that error code. It just ends up on a screen that says Quicken is having trouble connecting to Capital One Bank. No error code, but a note at the top that says "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

I can't use Update Now for these accounts. As part of my troubleshooting I deactivated each of my Capital One Accounts, so Update Now no longer appears as an option. Set Up Online is now an option, but when I click on that, it takes me back to the screen saying that Capital One Bank needs to reauthorize my accounts, then onto the screen that says Quicken is having trouble connecting to Capital One Bank. So I can't reactivate my accounts.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thank you for the additional information.

When you try to reactivate, are you going through Set Up Now or through Add Account? If you haven't already, could you please try reactivating through Add Account (not through Set Up Now), please?

To reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. If it connects successfully, and your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Mike8
    Mike8 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I get exactly the same message. It tells me that Capital One needs to authorize my accounts by signing into Capital One, but when I click next, it tells me that it can't connect to Capital One.  Something is preventing me from getting to the screen that allows me to sign in to Capital One to authorize my accounts.   I haven't seen any other mentions of this, so I assume its not a Capital One systemwide issue, is it?
  • Mike8
    Mike8 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Still doesn't work.  Any other avenues to fix this?

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Options

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Mike8
    Mike8 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...

Let us know how it goes!
    Thanks so much.  That solved my problem.  It did give me a bit of a scare though.  After I signed out, every time I opened Quicken it immediately crashed.  I had to go to to the backed up data file and restore it, and I was then able to link my Capital One accounts, and now everything is operating as it should.  Really appreciate your help.  
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    @Mike8 You're welcome!

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that worked for you. :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.