Honda Financial stopped synching on February 6

Options
JohntheEditor
JohntheEditor Member ✭✭
After several years, my Honda Financial Services car loan stopped synching in Quicken.
I disabled downloads after a few weeks, but when I try to connect the account again and enter the same credentials that I use to log on to https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/ , Quicken asks if I mistyped them. (Actually, I copied them from my password manager, the same method I use to log on to the site directly.) I can't proceed further. How can I get the account to sync automatically again?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For whatever it's worth ... I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage account for downloading.  (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here)

An online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

• Effective with Quicken Windows 2018+
      you can deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register.  However, you should still review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.
    • Users of Quicken 2017 and older:
      If you want to have full control over both the loan account register and the payment transactions you need to set up your loan account as a "manual loan account" and use the Scheduled Reminder created by the setup process to record your payment transaction on or before the due date.
      If you have already established a connected loan account and are having problems with it please take a look at this:
      How to convert back to a manual loan
      https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc

• JohntheEditor
    JohntheEditor Member ✭✭
    Options
    I hear what you're saying, but it's surprising to me, because this is functionality that Quicken explicitly advertises itself as being able to do. And in fact, I've been tracking my home loan and car loan with no obvious problems for a number of years. (I've been a Quicken user since 1997...which is not to say that nothing about it still mystifies me.) Further, I certainly don't relish the thought of going back over my hundreds of existing loan transactions and converting them into transfer transactions instead of category transactions. There seems to be a philosophical difference here: I want functionality I've been using to be restored, and you say that I shouldn't have been using the functionality because it's not optimal.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I think the comment from @UKR regards Quicken Windows, not Quicken Mac. I'm a Mac user and have created loan accounts manually; they contain a regular transaction register. I have not created a loan account connected to a financial institution, but I think they also contain a transaction register. Some people agree with the overall sentiment that it can be more trouble than it's worth to deal with a connected loan account and having to deal with adjustments when things aren't precise to the penny.

In Quicken Mac, you can convert a loan account to a liability account at a click of a button and retain all the transaction history.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JohntheEditor
    JohntheEditor Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what UKR meant by saying a loan account has no transaction register. Still, the suggestion of solving my connection problem by ceasing to want a connection is not really an answer. I don't really need a correct-to-the-penny record; but I would like a general idea of my remaining balance without having to manually review my monthly statement and painstakingly enter the breakdown into Quicken. In other words, I want to regain the convenience I had, even at the possible cost of perfect accuracy.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @JohntheEditor So, getting back to your original post, your problem isn't necessarily specific to loan functionality, it's that Quicken is no longer connecting to the financial institution to download transactions, correct? 

Typically, the troubleshooting starts with disconnecting the account from downloading, then setting it up again to download. Sometimes those simple steps resolve the problem. Sometimes not.

Another troubleshooting step is to create a temporary test file (File > New) and just create the account for this financial institution to see if it downloads in a clean, new file. If not, it likely points to a connectivity problem between Quicken and the financial institution. At that point, you'd need to call Quicken Support to have a representative go through the steps with you, share your screen, and capture the log files to investigate why the connection isn't working. At this point, they might escalate it to their connectivity team (at Intuit) to try to get resolved.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JohntheEditor
    JohntheEditor Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, I'll call support. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.