How do I get my account to sync up on my different computers

G.Callan
G.Callan Member
I spent hours updating my accounts on quicken last night on my laptop. Today I signed into my desk computer to continue the numerous odd errors - and nothing was synced up! Am I limited to only working on one computer forever? How do I get the accounts synced up?

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Quicken is not a web based program.  Data files do not sync to other computers.  You need to have a primary computer and data file.  Then manually access the file from other computers if you have a means to transfer the file to them.  If you modifiy the file on a second computer, you need to be sure to move that file back to the primary computer to continue using it.  Syncing to Quicken Web or Mobile does not include the entire data file.

How do I move Quicken data files between computers?

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3217114

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken's online sync is intended to allow you to use the mobile application and.or web interface in connection with your desktop copy of Quicken, which is the true home base of your data. It is not intended for syncing between two different desktop Macs, and you will definitely have problems trying to use it that way. 

The way to use two Macs is to move your data file back and forth between the computers. It's clunky, but it sounds more cumbersome than it actually is. Move only a protected copy of your data file: either a backup you create in Quicken of a Finder copy you Compress to a .zip file.  You can move such a file via a cloud service like iCloud or Dropbox, via file sharing enabled on one of the Macs, via email, via thumb drive, or possibly via Airdrop if the computers are near each other.

If you move back and forth between the two computers regularly, a good system is to have one spot -- say Dropbox or iCloud -- where you always store the zip/backup file after each use, 100% of the time. And each time you use Quicken, 100% of the time, you download it from DropBox/iCloud. This insures you're always using the latest file, irrespective of where it was last used.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Ps56k2 said:
    Unfortunately, that Quicken support page does not mention the issue in this thread -- that Quicken Cloud can not be used as a way to sync from desktop Quicken to the cloud and then back to a different desktop Quicken. (It also references One Step Update, which is terminology which does not apply to Quicken Mac; Quicken Mac is functionally similar, but the description and screenshot are not.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've flagged and suggested for updating by Quicken Staff for those exact items.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.