Quicken keeps prompting me about stock splits, stop already!

Every time I download accounts into Quicken, I get a stock split alert for 3 stocks. See attachment. I have cleared all and the clicked okay many times . But next time the stock splits alert is back. I have already accounted for all these stock splits manually. Is there a way to clear the flag?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Jeffrey Wilens

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is quite odd. I'm wondering here if we might need to rebuild the file. 

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll want to go across the top to file > file operations > Validate and repair > Correct investing price history/repair. OK

From here see if we're able to get these stock splits to stop appearing. Also double check to make sure everything is also correct. Let us know how it goes and if you run into any issues. 

Thanks, 

Quicken Francisco

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I download accounts into Quicken, I get a stock split alert for 3 stocks. See attachment. I have cleared all and the clicked okay many times . But next time the stock splits alert is back. I have already accounted for all these stock splits manually. Is there a way to clear the flag?
    What you might try that I have found helpful, since you have the splits already manually entered:
    Edit your existing split changing the date to match the proposed one.  Then change it back to the 'correct' desired date.  For example, change the date for the DD split from 6/5/19 to 6/3/19, and then back to 6/5/19.  With lock, you'll find the next download of prices (historical quotes) will not repeat the prompt. 

Option two is to accept the offer, then edit your split both ways as above, which should eliminate the doubled split. 
  • Jeffrey Wilens
    Jeffrey Wilens Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for suggestions by Quicken Francisco & q_lurker. I manually edited the existing entries to match the data Quicken is claiming is right on the stock split alert. In one case the only difference was a date of two days. In the other cases the dates were also slightly off and 4:1 downloaded was in contrast to 12:3 preexisting (they are the same ratios). I ran a download and no stock split alert appeared.

I then changed one of the transactions back to the original "correct" date I had and ran another download. The stock split alert came back for that stock (but not the other two which I left alone this time).

I conclude it is best to let Quicken decide what dates are right and not fight the system over a trivial issue. So I changed the one transaction back to the date preferred by Quicken. Ran another download transaction, and no stock split alert this time.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    "I conclude it is best to let Quicken decide what dates are right and not fight the system over a trivial issue."
    There's another approach that works equally as well and doesn't result in incorrect split dates: don't accept the StkSplt downloads.  I have AAPL in my portfolio and don't get that nag because I entered the transaction, on the correct date, manually.
    Quicken's quote provider seems to chronically screw up quotes around split dates so the manual entry of the split accompanied by editing downloaded quotes around the split date keeps things correctly stated and, apparently, staves off that nag.
    @Jeffry Wilens  You might want to check to see if your quotes around your new split dates properly reflect the Market Value of the stocks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Young said:
    @Jeffry Wilens  You might want to check to see if your quotes around your new split dates properly reflect the Market Value of the stocks.
    @""Jeffrey Wilens"  I agree with Tom on that check.  I look at the Security Details view, the price history chart, with and without the "Split adjust" box checked.  With the "split adjust" checked, the chart should be uniform and consistent.  With the box not checked, there should be a significant drop on the date of the split.  If the date of the split is inconsistent with the downloaded prices, there may be two jumps with the box checked. 

It is not necessarily a big deal in the big picture aside from those few days, but I am sort if OCD about such items.       
  • Jeffrey Wilens
    Jeffrey Wilens Member ✭✭✭
    I never accepted the stock split download but this problem still occurred.

Taking Apple as an example, with split adjust box checked, I see one big drop on the split day. Theoretically I should not see that but I do. However, looking at the stock price history I see
    8-27-20 125.01
    8-28-20 499.23
    8-31-20 (stock split day per quicken) 129.04
    9-1-20 134.18
    9-2-20 131.40

So the 4:1 stock split shows a faulty non-adjusted price for 8-28-20 (last trading day before the split).

If I uncheck the split adjust box, the price history is still bad. But now there are two drops instead of one.

It seems i probably have to manually edit the stock price data for 8-31-20 or whatever is the day before the stock split.

And these show as drops not jumps on the chart for some reason.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memory issues.  Mine.

The whole picture is needs to have the downloaded split from Quicken's sources properly align with the price history information from Quicken's sources, and transaction information from brokerages or user's manual entries.  Would seem to be simple, but isn't always.    

I am now recalling price glitches like you are pointing out.

My AAPL price history looks like the following and I have the StkSplit transaction dated 8/31/2020.  All prices before the StkSplit date should be in the $500 range.  Split date and later should be in the $125 range. 

Off the top right now, I can't say what the brokerages gave me for a date vs what Quicken wanted.  From your first post, apparently Quicken's sources wanted the 8/31 date.  

I believe this recurring issue sort of feeds from differences between trading dates and settlement dates and which source is using which approach.