What Does the Checkmark Mean?

Options
jomich80
jomich80 Member
I am using Quicken on the Web.
In the register for my checking account, I see a green circle with a white check-mark and a grey circle with a white check-mark in a column on the left-side of the register.
When I hover over these circles, it tells me the transaction was accepted (green) or not accepted (grey).
What are these circles with the check-marks telling me? Some or green and some are grey, but I am not sure why.
Can anyone tell me the purpose for these green and grey circles with check-marks?
Thank you.

Best Answers

• Hoss
    Hoss Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm not a Quicken web user, but If you talking about what I think you're talking about...

They indicate the level of review that's been done on the transaction.

Transactions you enter manually will be in a green circle with a checkmark.

Transactions that have been downloaded from the financial institution will be in a gray circle indicating they have cleared the bank, but you haven't confirmed the transaction. Once you've marked the item as reviewed it will change to a green circle.

Hope that helps...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you say you don't download from your bank.  Does that include importing a QFX file?

At any rate the purpose of the check mark is for the user to "review" transactions, which is something that you would only usually do in an account that you download transactions for.

In Quicken Windows (and I believe Mac) there is a "status" column that what this these circle icons on Quicken Web line up with.  That status column isn't available if the account is a manual entry account, but Quicken Web will still have them.

For Quicken Web, Mac, and Windows when in "automatically enter transactions into register mode" the expected flow goes like this.  You download transactions and they status is New (blue dot icon) of New Match if the downloaded transaction match and existing transaction.  It is then expected that they user will review the transactions and mark each "reviewed", which on Mac and Windows the status column gets cleared.  On Quicken Web you get the green checkmark.

For Quicken Windows there is an additional mode where "automatically enter transactions into register mode" is off, and transactions first go into the Downloaded Transactions tab.  When the user accepts them into the register this is the same as "reviewed".

In a purely manual mode these icons on Quicken Web probably mean nothing to you.  That is the reason that they aren't shown in Quicken Windows when in a manual entry register (I'm not sure what Quicken Mac does since I don't use it).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Hoss
    Hoss Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I use the Mac version of Quicken...

The Mac has an untitled column with a single black dot in the header. That column shows "scheduled transactions" as a clock, "unmatched downloaded transactions" as a blue dot, "manually entered transactions match with a download" as a blue pencil, "manually entered transactions unmatched with a download" as an orange pencil, and "reviewed transactions" with no symbol.

I never use this column (review feature) expect to see the future scheduled transactions.

For grins, I just sync'd my account with Quicken Web.

For accounts that are NOT linked to a financial institution (manual entry, now downloads), all the entered transactions have a green circle with a checkmark in the web register.

For accounts that ARE linked to a financial institution, all of my transactions have a gray circle with a checkmark (I don't use the "Review" feature) in the web register.

The first time I clicked on one of the gray circles, I got a popup window that explains what those checkmarks mean (see attached image).

Hope that helps.

Answers

• Hoss
    Hoss Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm not a Quicken web user, but If you talking about what I think you're talking about...

They indicate the level of review that's been done on the transaction.

Transactions you enter manually will be in a green circle with a checkmark.

Transactions that have been downloaded from the financial institution will be in a gray circle indicating they have cleared the bank, but you haven't confirmed the transaction. Once you've marked the item as reviewed it will change to a green circle.

Hope that helps...
  • jomich80
    jomich80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response.
    Something does not make sense to me. I manually enter all my transactions in my Quicken desktop checkbook register and never download from my bank. So based on your feedback, all the circles should be green.
    It does appear I can just accept the transactions and it will not affect anything. Also, there does not appear to be anything where I can go to get some background information on these green/grey circles.
    Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you say you don't download from your bank.  Does that include importing a QFX file?

At any rate the purpose of the check mark is for the user to "review" transactions, which is something that you would only usually do in an account that you download transactions for.

In Quicken Windows (and I believe Mac) there is a "status" column that what this these circle icons on Quicken Web line up with.  That status column isn't available if the account is a manual entry account, but Quicken Web will still have them.

For Quicken Web, Mac, and Windows when in "automatically enter transactions into register mode" the expected flow goes like this.  You download transactions and they status is New (blue dot icon) of New Match if the downloaded transaction match and existing transaction.  It is then expected that they user will review the transactions and mark each "reviewed", which on Mac and Windows the status column gets cleared.  On Quicken Web you get the green checkmark.

For Quicken Windows there is an additional mode where "automatically enter transactions into register mode" is off, and transactions first go into the Downloaded Transactions tab.  When the user accepts them into the register this is the same as "reviewed".

In a purely manual mode these icons on Quicken Web probably mean nothing to you.  That is the reason that they aren't shown in Quicken Windows when in a manual entry register (I'm not sure what Quicken Mac does since I don't use it).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Hoss
    Hoss Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I use the Mac version of Quicken...

The Mac has an untitled column with a single black dot in the header. That column shows "scheduled transactions" as a clock, "unmatched downloaded transactions" as a blue dot, "manually entered transactions match with a download" as a blue pencil, "manually entered transactions unmatched with a download" as an orange pencil, and "reviewed transactions" with no symbol.

I never use this column (review feature) expect to see the future scheduled transactions.

For grins, I just sync'd my account with Quicken Web.

For accounts that are NOT linked to a financial institution (manual entry, now downloads), all the entered transactions have a green circle with a checkmark in the web register.

For accounts that ARE linked to a financial institution, all of my transactions have a gray circle with a checkmark (I don't use the "Review" feature) in the web register.

The first time I clicked on one of the gray circles, I got a popup window that explains what those checkmarks mean (see attached image).

Hope that helps.
  • jomich80
    jomich80 Member
    Options
    Thank you Hoss and Chris_QPW.
    I understand their purpose now and it makes sense. I appreciate your assistance.
This discussion has been closed.