balance reports in Quicken for Mac

catrahal
catrahal Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
In the PC version, I could generate a report that would give me the balance in each selected account over a specific time period. I use this for a certain kind of tax reporting. I cannot find a similar report in Quicken for Mac. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also, have not been about to find a simple Register report labelled as such.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I like @jacobs idea. Unfortunately, though, I don't think it'll work for investment accounts because the balance column in those registers only reflects the cash balance, not the full market value of all the securities.

But that said, you can generate the week by week report like in QWin. From the Reports tab, create a new Net Worth (NOT Net Worth Over Time) report. Click the Edit button and change the time interval to last year. Clear the Account list and select only the accounts you need and click OK. Right under the Edit button, click the Interval popup and select Week. This should be the same as what you had in QWin.

This applies to the current version of QMac. If you're using an older version, it may not work.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    edited March 2021
    It sounds like you’re looking for the Net Worth report. You can customize this to include only accounts that you specify. The report can be found in the Reports tab.
  • catrahal
    catrahal Member ✭✭
    As a Canadian reporting taxes to the US, I need the highest balance in each account during the tax year. In the Windows version I could pull up a report that narrowed it down to highest balance for each week, which was sufficient for the purpose. I don't see anything resembling that, and the Net Worth report does not give me that. I tried a transaction report, and to get it done this year I resorted to scrolling through each account and noting numbers until I found the highest one. I used to be able to use the amount on Dec 31, but that changed a few years ago. Thank you for the suggestion though, and if you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them. It is frustrating. I just need it once a year. This year, instead of taking 5 minutes, it took considerably longer. I am almost considering installing Parallels and using in Windows version in there.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @catrahal  That's an interesting need; I haven't heard of anyone asking for that functionality before. I have a suggestion which I think could cut this to minutes instead of hours… ;)

For each account where you need to know the maximum balance during a year, I would set the date filter to last year, and then export the register. Open the .csv file in Excel or Numbers. In a blank cell, create a simple formula using the MAX function, which finds the maximum value in a range. So if you balance column is column M, and runs from row 7 to 1000, you'd create a formula "=MAX(M7:M1000)" and as soon a you press return, that cell will show you your maximum balance value for the year. You have to repeat this for each account you need, but once you're use dot doing it, it takes on a few seconds per account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    I like @jacobs idea. Unfortunately, though, I don't think it'll work for investment accounts because the balance column in those registers only reflects the cash balance, not the full market value of all the securities.

But that said, you can generate the week by week report like in QWin. From the Reports tab, create a new Net Worth (NOT Net Worth Over Time) report. Click the Edit button and change the time interval to last year. Clear the Account list and select only the accounts you need and click OK. Right under the Edit button, click the Interval popup and select Week. This should be the same as what you had in QWin.

This applies to the current version of QMac. If you're using an older version, it may not work.

• catrahal
    catrahal Member ✭✭
    I don't need it for securities - I handle that separately and in another software. But I went back and followed your directions for the net worth report - it worked! Thank you. I have saved it so I will have it for next year. It replicates what I had in Windows. And since I have a subscription to Quicken, it updates regularly to the latest version. I am still on a learning curve with Quicken for Mac. I had been using the windows version since version 1, when I had no hard drive - one 5 1/4 inch floppy for the software and another for the data. I have gone through all of the changes, and still don't use the program to its full potential. Thank you both for your suggestions and help.
This discussion has been closed.