Crashed

My file worked just fine last night. This morning it updated per schedule. This morning, I tried to open my file, and I get a "send a crash report". Will I be able to get my info? I need to do my taxes. Have I lost everything? What do I do from here?

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    edited March 16

Hello @Janice888

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. It sounds like Quicken itself may be crashing beforehand. One thing we can attempt here to isolate the issue is when you're opening quicken hold CTRL + SHIFT then open Quicken, This should open Quicken without any file being selected. From here see if the program opens. If it does go across the top to file > 1 (File Name/location). This should be your most recent file. See if you're able to open up the file from here.

Once you get the chance let us know how it goes and if you end up crashing again. This should give us more of an idea what's going on.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Janice888
    Janice888 Member
    Thank you for trying to help. I open Quicken and it asks for my password (password protected) but it opens in a smaller window than usual. After typing in my password, it opens to a balance for the last 30 days which it has never done before and right then the Crash window pops up.
    I've tried hold CTRL + SHIFT but it still does the same thing as mentioned above.
  • Janice888
    Janice888 Member
    Right now, I tried it again. It did let me chose the first file but with the same results. Quicken Crash Report. "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run." I sent a report yesterday when I first noticed it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • uninstall Quicken using this procedure:
        http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com or your installation CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

• Janice888
    Janice888 Member
    Quicken opens, and none of the backup files are opening. Well, they open and then crash. I'm very leary of uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Janice888

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to follow along with an issue and offer one on one assistance.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.