How to create an Average Annual Return report similar to the view in Investing/Performance

Is there a report that can be created to simply show each brokerage account and Average Annual Return for 1 Year, 3 Years and 5 Years. I can see it displayed on the Investing/Performance page but am unable to recreate the report. I'd also like to export to excel and am familiar with that if I can create the report. Thanks

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    I suggest you use a customize Portfolio view: press Ctrl + U

To export the view to excel, press Ctrl + P, choose Export to:, select Tab delimited (excel compatible) disk file from the pull-down menu, ...
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can use the Investment Performance Report to get something close for one period at a time, without the baseline index comparisons.

Customize the report to time frame of last 12 months (or as desired), no Cash Flow Detail, subtotal by account.  

If you include the cash flow detail, you can export to Excel and use (with other organizational tweaking) Excel's XIRR function to confirm the values.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tom 123 said:
    Love the Ctrl+U tip to get there quickly, and I've already customized it to show the Average Annual Returns. Any tips on how to export this view to Excel or put it in a Quicken report to export? I found a report that will show this for a specific time frame but nothing that will add columns for YTD, 1-Year, 3-Year and 5-Year. Thanks very much.
    To export the view to excel, press Ctrl + P, choose Export to:, select Tab delimited (excel compatible) disk file from the pull-down menu, ... 

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Or even better on the Export, choose the confusingly named PRN (Lotus 123) format. This produces a CSV file. If you give the file a CSV extension, you should be able to open it directly in Excel.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Tom 123

I don't believe there is a standard report that can be generated by the application which will show the 1, 3,and 5 year average annual returns by brokerage account.  The only way I know of that may get close to that, would be to do the following:

1) Open the Investing tab:
    2) Click on the arrow next to each account name (brokerage accounts) to collapse it so it does not display the securities in the account;
    3) At the top of the display - to the immediate right of the "Customize" button - "right click" and select "Print this screen".

This should produce a report that will include those 1, 3 and 5 year Average Annual Returns.  I have not tested to see if one might be able to import said report into another application that would allow the information to be otherwise manipulated.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you use a customize Portfolio view: press Ctrl + U

To export the view to excel, press Ctrl + P, choose Export to:, select Tab delimited (excel compatible) disk file from the pull-down menu, ...
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can use the Investment Performance Report to get something close for one period at a time, without the baseline index comparisons.

Customize the report to time frame of last 12 months (or as desired), no Cash Flow Detail, subtotal by account.  

If you include the cash flow detail, you can export to Excel and use (with other organizational tweaking) Excel's XIRR function to confirm the values.  
  • Tom 123
    Tom 123 Member
    Love the Ctrl+U tip to get there quickly, and I've already customized it to show the Average Annual Returns. Any tips on how to export this view to Excel or put it in a Quicken report to export? I found a report that will show this for a specific time frame but nothing that will add columns for YTD, 1-Year, 3-Year and 5-Year. Thanks very much.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tom 123 said:
    To export the view to excel, press Ctrl + P, choose Export to:, select Tab delimited (excel compatible) disk file from the pull-down menu, ... 

• Tom 123
    Tom 123 Member
    Ctrl+P worked great and thanks you very much!!! Awesome!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Or even better on the Export, choose the confusingly named PRN (Lotus 123) format. This produces a CSV file. If you give the file a CSV extension, you should be able to open it directly in Excel.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Tom 123

I don't believe there is a standard report that can be generated by the application which will show the 1, 3,and 5 year average annual returns by brokerage account.  The only way I know of that may get close to that, would be to do the following:

1) Open the Investing tab:
    2) Click on the arrow next to each account name (brokerage accounts) to collapse it so it does not display the securities in the account;
    3) At the top of the display - to the immediate right of the "Customize" button - "right click" and select "Print this screen".

This should produce a report that will include those 1, 3 and 5 year Average Annual Returns.  I have not tested to see if one might be able to import said report into another application that would allow the information to be otherwise manipulated.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom 123
    Tom 123 Member
    Jim - That worked too and thanks very much. For some reason, the Tab delimited (excel compatible) format worked a little better just as a comparison. I've been a Quicken user since '92 and love this software. I sure do miss Lotus 123! Many thanks, Tom
  • Tom 123
    Tom 123 Member
    Frankx - That worked too. You all are so helpful and much appreciated. Tom
  • Tom 123
    Tom 123 Member
    If I've learned anything from this, the various ways to "Print this screen" is a powerful feature.