R32.xx - scrolling Preferences issue with new update?

Winter001
Winter001 Member ✭✭
My Quicken just update to R32.xx and now I once again have the fast scrolling issue. Last version I had 31.xx , in settings had a selection saying not use the new scrolling feature and this one does not.. HELP!

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ps56k2 said:
    Slightly confused....
    @Winter001 - wonder what version was previously being used -
    I'm running Win10 and Quicken older version R30.21 .... scroll bars are FLAT to me -
    Have you looked at the non investment account register scrollbars?

The history goes that in a R31.X version they changed the scrollbars to make them all the same.  But when they changed them the new scroll bars "moved too fast", jumping multiple transactions with every click (even pages).

So the temporary put them back to the Windows XP scrollbars.  Then later they came back with them fixed (at least most people felt they were now fixed), but to "hedge their bet" they also put in the option to allow the user to switch between the two.

Since you have said on R30.21 you have not seen any of this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    Ok..... found the setting. Someone at Quicken needs to learn how to spell...

Take the tick out of this box and it stops the fast scrolling..
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm missing it ... what, in your graphic, is misspelled?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    • No job is complete until the paperwork is done!
    What I'm saying is: Someone needs to update Quicken Help to add documentation about the two new settings now appearing in Edit / Preferences / Setup.
    Click the blue question mark button and you'll know which Help page I'm referring to.
  • Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    > @NotACPA said:
    > OK, I'm missing it ... what, in your graphic, is misspelled?

It says "Use flat scrollbar in bank register (takes effect on restart)"

IT SHOULD SAY FAST NOT Flat

Note: Install (Default) has that setting, ticked.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Winter001 said:
    > @NotACPA said:
    > OK, I'm missing it ... what, in your graphic, is misspelled?

It says "Use flat scrollbar in bank register (takes effect on restart)"

IT SHOULD SAY FAST NOT Flat
    No flat is exactly what it should be.  The new Windows 10 scrollbars are flat.

The old "Windows XP" scrollbars are "3d".

Signature:
  • Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > No flat is exactly what it should be.  The new Windows 10 scrollbars are flat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The old "Windows XP" scrollbars are "3d".
    Thanks Chris!
    OK, I did not realize that... BUT, but taking the tic out of that selection does in fact slow the scroll bar down. Did what I needed it to do.... Daaaah, I thought it was typoed. Thanks for replies here..
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In theory the two scrollbars should behave the same, but the very fact that they are different code and all they of course can be different.  You might also check your mouse settings for how many lines to scroll at a time.  I don't know if Quicken honors this setting, but it might worth a look.
    Signature:
  • Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > In theory the two scrollbars should behave the same, but the very fact that they are different code and all they of course can be different.  You might also check your mouse settings for how many lines to scroll at a time.  I don't know if Quicken honors this setting, but it might worth a look.

Mouse setting are a no go..... No they do not act the same......indeed scroll speed is the same slow speed as it was with v31.xx , If you take the tic out of that Flat setting in 32.xx... I'm just really happy I am not stuck with fast scroll.

I have 3 different PC's running Win 10 and I am seeing same thing with Quicken on all 3..

Thanks Chris.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Slightly confused....
    I'm running Win10 and Quicken older version R30.21 .... scroll bars are FLAT to me -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ps56k2 said:
    Slightly confused....
    Have you looked at the non investment account register scrollbars?

The history goes that in a R31.X version they changed the scrollbars to make them all the same.  But when they changed them the new scroll bars "moved too fast", jumping multiple transactions with every click (even pages).

So the temporary put them back to the Windows XP scrollbars.  Then later they came back with them fixed (at least most people felt they were now fixed), but to "hedge their bet" they also put in the option to allow the user to switch between the two.

Since you have said on R30.21 you have not seen any of this.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Interesting.... again on older STABLE - R30.21 - been staying away from R31 and 32.
    was on Home screen - they are Flat -
    Chase checking and all Banking - edgy 3D
    Fidelity and all Investments - Flat
    So, the question remains - is the Fast Scroll anomoly triggered by the Flat setting

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:

So, the question remains - is the Fast Scroll anomaly triggered by the Flat setting

I personally don't see much difference between the two as far as "speed" is concerned.  They might be slightly different, but they no where close where they were when the problem was introduced.  When they first switched over it was jumping multiple transactions and even pages at a time.  Now each click is one transaction.

Personally for a long time I didn't even know what people were talking about when they reported the problem because I almost always scroll using my mouse wheel.
    Signature:
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Winter001

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the community.

Our windows team is interested in learning more about the issues with the scrollbar you are seeing in the latest R32.10 release. 

Would you be willing to share a screen recording of the scroll bar behavior in the previous R31.20 release as well as the behavior in the current R32.10 release with the preference for flat scroll bars, both marked and unmarked?

If so, the previous R31.20 release may be downloaded and installed from here.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

@Ps56k2

Are you seeing an issue with the scrollbar speed in your current version of Quicken?

If so, would you be willing to update to the latest version (R32.10) and test the scrollbar with the flat scrollbar preference both marked and unmarked?

Please let us know, thank you!

@Chris_QPW

Am I understanding correctly that you do not experience any discernible difference in speed between either version (R31.20 or R32.10) or with the scroll preference marked/unmarked - is that correct?

Thank you all again!

Sarah
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah

For the scrolling you have to look at three things from what I can see.
    1) Click on arrow button.  For me both of them move by one transaction.
    2) Click somewhere in the scrollbar.  This is really hard to judge because it varies depending on where in the scrollbar you click.  So to test if it was "exactly" the same you would have to ensure you click exactly in the same spot.  I can't really do that, but it seems the same to me.
    3) Click scroll button and drag. How much you have to move to get to the next transaction (actually the displaying of "tool hint" showing the transaction date).
    Here is Windows XP:

Here is Windows 10.

The assumption I'm making of course is that the proportions of how much you move to the rate of change is a constant, but I believe that is true.

This is a long winded "looks the same to me", but I wanted to capture the fact that you really have a few things to check when someone says that it is "faster".
    Signature:
  • Arky42
    Arky42 Member ✭✭
    The scrolling problems are back yet again with quicken latest update....Win10 R32.10 Build 27.1.32.10
  • System
    System Member admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: R31.xx - scrolling issue with new update?.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Arky42

Thank you for sharing with the community that you are also experiencing an issue with scrolling in the latest R32.10 release.

May I ask, exactly what behavior are you experiencing?

Our windows team is interested in learning more about the issues with the scrollbar you are seeing in the latest R32.10 release. 

Would you be willing to share a screen recording of the scroll bar behavior in the previous R31.20 release as well as the behavior in the current R32.10 release with the preference for flat scroll bars, both marked and unmarked?

If so, the previous R31.20 release may be downloaded and installed from here.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and willingness to provide additional details to help our teams better understand what is happening.

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.