Display of dividend info on Preferred shares

Options
I have a handful of preferred stocks in my portfolio. For a couple of them the Investing/Portfolio screen does not display dividend info such as dividend amt, date, and yield. The common factor among the ones for which it is not displayed is that the Quicken ticker symbols are in the format of XYZpfA. They were assigned at the time of purchase when using the Quicken "Look Up" function. The other stocks where dividend info IS displayed have a format of XYZ-A, and were also assigned using the Look Up function. Any suggestions how to get the info to display? Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As you can see above, entering at least part of the security name for ASB can yield a variety of available tickers.  In this case, I would expect the ASB-D to be the one you are looking for. 

Now I will add here that you should also note that for Quicken's source, all of these share the same name,  That becomes problematic if you try to have two or more of these in your Quicken file.  In that case, you need to edit the names in Quicken to be unique.  You might use a patterns like 'Assoc. Banc - Common', 'Assoc. Banc - Pref A' or 'ABS - Assoc. Banc', 'ABS-C Assoc. Banc'.  the sequence becomes: Get the first security, rename the first security, get the next security, rename the next security ...

Similarly, Huntington Bancshares seems to offer HBAN, HBAN.DG, HBAN.DY: HBAN.ZY and HBANO.  OR HABN in the box yields HBANN, HBANO, and HBANP.  From that, I would try to confirm how those match up with preferred share prices from Yahoo finance or other sources.  It may be that the "P" option is not yet available or it may be the HBANP.  

JPM I used in my earlier example.  Today, If I type in JPM-J in the Enter Symbol ... box, JPM-J does appear as a selection.  JPM- presents 5 options (C, D, G, H, and J). 

The lesson is that it takes some poking around to get there.    

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That info comes from Quicken's quote provider and is sometimes missing or out of date. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not familiar with the Lookup feature producing securities with the XXXpfA format.  Can you share some examples?
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    I think this refers to looking up a name or ticker when adding a security.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this refers to looking up a name or ticker when adding a security.
    Agreed as to his reference. I’ve just never seen a preferred security with the ...pfA style suffix to the base security.  I’ve not seen the Lookup produce a preferred security with that style ticker. 

Looking for an example to confirm. Sorry I wasn’t clear. 
  • larry
    larry Member ✭✭
    Options
    D'oh! Embarrassingly, I am mistaken. The pfA ticker formats were downloaded from the brokerage at the time the trade was made and not from the lookup function. Apologies for the mistake.

But do you know if Quicken is aware this issue and raised it with their quote provider? Thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Your best bet to report problems with the quote data would be to contact Quicken Support.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is a reasonable chance Quicken does have a ticker that will match up. 

What are the preferred securities?

Or you can try poking around the Quicken data.  For example if I use that lookup starting with JPM, two options that show up are JPM-G and JPM-H.  Apparently, these correspond to the class G and H preferred offering of JP Morgan Chase.

As long as your security is "matched with online security", your ticker in Quicken can be different than the ticker your broker uses.  Your Quicken ticker will get you price updates from the Quicken data supplier when you "Update Quotes".  That may be more accessible than the prices that come with your brokerage download. 
  • larry
    larry Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did some looking around and entered alternate versions of the preferreds that I hold but I could not find a Quicken equivalent for them. They are:

ASB-D
    HBANP
    JPM-J
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As you can see above, entering at least part of the security name for ASB can yield a variety of available tickers.  In this case, I would expect the ASB-D to be the one you are looking for. 

Now I will add here that you should also note that for Quicken's source, all of these share the same name,  That becomes problematic if you try to have two or more of these in your Quicken file.  In that case, you need to edit the names in Quicken to be unique.  You might use a patterns like 'Assoc. Banc - Common', 'Assoc. Banc - Pref A' or 'ABS - Assoc. Banc', 'ABS-C Assoc. Banc'.  the sequence becomes: Get the first security, rename the first security, get the next security, rename the next security ...

Similarly, Huntington Bancshares seems to offer HBAN, HBAN.DG, HBAN.DY: HBAN.ZY and HBANO.  OR HABN in the box yields HBANN, HBANO, and HBANP.  From that, I would try to confirm how those match up with preferred share prices from Yahoo finance or other sources.  It may be that the "P" option is not yet available or it may be the HBANP.  

JPM I used in my earlier example.  Today, If I type in JPM-J in the Enter Symbol ... box, JPM-J does appear as a selection.  JPM- presents 5 options (C, D, G, H, and J). 

The lesson is that it takes some poking around to get there.    
  • larry
    larry Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Lurk,
    Thanks for the response. It was helpful and I was able to find the symbols for my shares. My mistake was limiting my lookups only by symbol and not by name. I was assuming that if I just keyed in "ASB" that all shares associated with Associate Banc would appear. I appreciate the insight.