QEL files

Every time I do a Validate & repair, for whatever reason, I get the following error:
"
QEL:
The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered.

QEL:
All internal consistency checks passed.
"

First, how can the same file be corrupt and good at the same time? Second, as QEL files aren't used for current versions of Quicken (and I've confirmed there isn't any QEL files on my machine), what is Validate checking for?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The reason why the QEL file can be corrupted and consistent is because Validate & Repair is taking three passes at that file.
    1) Check for errors (finds data inconsistent so goes to step 2).
    2) Repair errors (in this case by throwing away information).
    3) Check that its now consistent.

QEL files are used in the current version, it just hidden from view.  The QDF file is now a compressed file that contains the files that were separated before.  If you look at the QDF file with 7-Zip (which is a free utility) you will see this:

Note that the QEL file store the "unique Ids" for transactions.  It is what allows Quicken to "remember" that a transactions with the unique Id has already been downloaded and not to put in the register as a duplicate transaction.

The bigger question is why your QEL file got corrupted.  For that I don't have an answer, we can only make guesses.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dave Davis
    Dave Davis Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, but how can it be corrupted and OK at the same time (according to the Validate check)? It probably is corrupt though because I keep getting repeats on my downloads. So, how do I fix it?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    Thanks for the reply, but how can it be corrupted and OK at the same time 
    It isn't.
    It was corrupted to being with.  That is one point in time.
    It was repaired.  That is another point in time.
    It was checked and found consistent.  That is yet another point in time.
    EDIT just to be clear the log you are looing at is for all the above points in time.
    It probably is corrupt though because I keep getting repeats on my downloads. So, how do I fix it?
    Getting repeats (duplicates) during downloading shouldn't cause any corruption.
    The whole purpose of the file is in fact to prevent you from having duplicates.  But note currently there are a few problems that have been reported causing duplicate transactions, but that is because the downloaded transaction are getting different unique Ids.  They are working on such problems, but again that shouldn't cause this kind of corruption.

If I had to take a wild guess at what might be causing the corruption I would ask if you are using sync to Mobile/Web.  It has been at the root of a lot of data corruption problems.  But even if you aren't there are other possibilities.  One being that you are either storing your data file on a network drive or in a "cloud folder" where something like OneDrive/Dropbox/... might be also trying to access the data file and stopping Quicken from properly writing to it.  The data file you open should be in a folder that doesn't have other programs trying to access it.  The backup can be in such folders, just not the one you open.

Past that it could anything.  That is why I said why it might be corrupted is a guess.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/